Feral fowl rule Hawaiian island

Quote:
yeappers, however I'm only 34. I lived here for 17 years so far. Born in Punta Gorda. It's kind of a drag here personally. Anyway, I believe they are some sort of game mix. They are tiny as heck with extremely erect tails. All different colors. Unfortunately for the chickens, they have overrun all of the keys. As far up as Key Largo big time. The county has a bounty out for them. The feral cats and iguanas as well. The cats are killing the native wood rat I suppose. The chickens have been trapped by professional chicken catchers for a few years now. In Key West that is. Key Largo etc., it isn't such a big deal. A few years ago, they even blamed the beaches poor water quality on the chickens, and the iguanas too. So, in conclusion, the county and it's nice or mean residents "try" to capture them and rehome or euthanize them. The iguanas and cats too. It's just a 6 mile island so in essence everything makes a huge impact. However, chickens, lizards, and cats have been a part of my life since birth. I don't know a difference besides my hibiscus tree constantly being groped by the iguanas. It's just a part of my simple life. I guess the real problem with the chickens is the roos in this snot wrag town. A couple of years ago a homeowner/business owner was fined thousands of dollars for housing too many Hemmingway cats. She was trying to rehome them and making a bunch in donations. It was like a free exhibit. Not the Hemmingway House either, just an independent person. Sad. She is like a millionairre, totally run out of this ritzy, touristy, island. Tis a shame. Doh, gotta go to work, more rants later?
smile.png

Quote:
This is not true. I live here and Key West wants them gone.

Oops, sorry, guess my info is a little out of date. Been a couple years now since we've been down. My husband sure misses the conch fritters, conch steak, etc. I swear conch is all he eats when we are there.
tongue.png

Dang I wanna go diving again, but we just can't find the money
sad.png

Here is a picture I took with my phone of the "feral chickens " we have in Zephyrhills, FL, I googled and searched pictures of chicken breeds and what looks very close ( I am totally a chicken beginner) to my untrained eye is a brown leghorn roo??? I think they are beautiful and I love the sound of their crowing. I think we have become so far removed from where our food actually comes from that people would rather sit around their perfectly manicured yards and ignore the hideous circumstances that chickens that are butchered for meat or raised for eggs they buy at the store are subjected to and GRIPE about these beautiful birds roaming around. Yes maybe they are not native.... but have you SEEN the bug population in FL? they are not exactly what I would call a threat or a predator to any native species here that I can wrack my brain thinking of. :) done ranting now :)

And dont forget those delicious media noches, guasa, and conch fritters.
Next time you go take us with you!

Great, now I'm gonna be thinking about conch fritters all day with no way of coming up with some. Thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom