Kay-tee paper bedding ??

Vickers58

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Dallas, tx
Has anyone ever used this stuff for duckling bedding? We have a giant supply of it (long story)and would really like to use it if it's not dangerous. Does anyone one have any experience or opinions on this bedding for two ducklings kept indoors for the time being?? Help!!

The only concern I would have is that the chickens might eat it. Other than that it should work fine. Test it out watch them see how they react.

Vickers, if it is just paper, with no fragrance or other additives, it might be worth a try.

As with any bedding, watch very closely - well, actually, sniff very closely - for the slightest whiff of ammonia. Any ammonia is bad news, time to change the bedding.

Something Wifezilla used to do was put absorbent material under sheets of the heavy-duty no-skid material some use for shelf lining. That way, they don't have opportunity to ingest the stuff, but the moisture and most of the poo goes into the absorbent material. To clean, pull the top lining off, shake out and rinse, and compost the absorbent material.

I miss Wifezilla. Hope she's doing okay.

This might inspire you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/597514/need-dry-duckling-brooder-ideas

Last edited:
That is an amazing idea about the shelf liners on top!!! We put pine shavings in lady night and they just started chowing down on them! So I covered it with a large piece of fabric and and cried myself to sleep.... Just kidding.... But man is it frustrating!

The learning curve with ducklings is immense. I was not fit company for humans for quite some time
wink.png

Not only do we need to learn the generals, but the details of our unique little duckies. Mine ate shavings, a few are not cold hardy below freezing, they dislike anything red, and so on.

Wifezilla is one sharp individual. I learned so much from her.

Back
Top Bottom