Kayla’s Flock 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Hey K :D I was just telling my daughter about your ducks/guineas issue and she said "Poor you" LOL I googled the nasty things to see how big they get, basically to see if you can at least eat the darn things, and I spotted, "Romans were able to raise them but never really tame them." We laughed pretty hard about that--if the ROMANS couldn't correct their attitudes...well... :gig Wonder what one tastes like? ...And if anyone says "tastes like chicken," I'm pre-smacking you :smack :lau:gig:lau

I love your flock!! Does anyone have any tip of what to do with chickens in the winter and how to care for them this is my 1st year raising chickens and I am lost with what to do!
The key to winter is dry, draft free with at least 1sq ft of ventilation per bird. humidity in the coop should not be significantly different than outside.

Morning everyone,
I love your flock!! Does anyone have any tip of what to do with chickens in the winter and how to care for them this is my 1st year raising chickens and I am lost with what to do!
I'd recommend a roofed run if you get snow. If it's not roofed, old tarps do well. roofed runs are so much easier, it means a lot less pecking (no annoyed hens stuck inside) , happier hens and less chance of sickness. And... you don't even need to shovel any snow out of the run. Big plus.

For a treat, my chooks enjoy sunflower seeds with shells in the winter. They might get addicted, but I really think it is good for the crop, I haven't gotten any crop issues since I've used it.

In the winter, there is a lot larger chance they can get sick. Make sure you check on them every so often when it's below freezing and make sure their water isn't frozen.

In the end, the chickens got their nice fluffy feather down jackets on. :) They're pretty warm. You'll do just fine. And if you do need some help, we are all here to help you. :)

Morning everyone,

I'd recommend a roofed run if you get snow. If it's not roofed, old tarps do well. roofed runs are so much easier, it means a lot less pecking (no annoyed hens stuck inside) , happier hens and less chance of sickness. And... you don't even need to shovel any snow out of the run. Big plus.

For a treat, my chooks enjoy sunflower seeds with shells in the winter. They might get addicted, but I really think it is good for the crop, I haven't gotten any crop issues since I've used it.

In the winter, there is a lot larger chance they can get sick. Make sure you check on them every so often when it's below freezing and make sure their water isn't frozen.

In the end, the chickens got their nice fluffy feather down jackets on. :) They're pretty warm. You'll do just fine. And if you do need some help, we are all here to help you. :)
This is what their coop looks like we also put insulation panels
2F1E8CD5-4D98-47AF-8411-3DD1F975AB05.jpeg
A50E306F-6EBE-44CE-AFC1-102BF1929454.jpeg
049541E5-AFA3-419B-AED0-F89EB0BAE50A.jpeg
on the side facing out and to cover the door!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom