KC ducks not laying even though I've provided them with additional lighting

TreCurtis

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 3, 2012
I'm starting to get a bit worried. I have 5 female KC ducks over a year old that have stopped laying eggs, even with the addition of light I've provided them in the beginning of the season. All my chickens are laying quite well, but I haven't had any action from the ducks in months.They are eating and drinking fine, and look healthy otherwise.

Thanks!

Are they molting? When did they stop laying? Have you been in the deep freeze this winter like some of us have? My Khakis molt in the fall then take time off from laying during the short days and usually start back up in March. Though giving artificial light can help I prefer not to as it can be stressful for them. Just be patient.

And
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I don't have any ideas because I am in the same boat! My ducks stopped laying a couple months ago and I don't know why! Of course where I live we have had some drastically cold temps.. so that is my only guess. It's too cold for them to lay.
hu.gif
Sorry I can't help, just wanted to let you know you're not the only one!

I don't have any ideas because I am in the same boat! My ducks stopped laying a couple months ago and I don't know why!  Of course where I live we have had some drastically cold temps.. so that is my only guess.  It's too cold for them to lay.:confused:   Sorry I can't help, just wanted to let you know you're not the only one!

I have heard most ducks don't lay during the winter, but I may be wrong. Also, I think it is good to allow them to give their bodies a break from laying an egg every day :)

8 out of 10 times I notice a decrease in eggs here, it is not that my Ladies have stopped laying, but rather that they've found a new and improved, better hiding spot! Mine did stop from about Oct til Dec 21, but started right back up with Solstice. All my ducks are laying now. And it's C. O. L. D.

Thanks everyone! I'm glad I'm not alone! Hopefully I'll start seeing some action in the coming months! I'm in CT and it has been incredibly cold here. Last year they were laying through the winter, but perhaps this year has been a little too much for them.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom