KC ducks not laying even though I've provided them with additional lighting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TreCurtis, Feb 25, 2014.

1. TreCurtis

TreCurtis Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    I'm starting to get a bit worried. I have 5 female KC ducks over a year old that have stopped laying eggs, even with the addition of light I've provided them in the beginning of the season. All my chickens are laying quite well, but I haven't had any action from the ducks in months.They are eating and drinking fine, and look healthy otherwise.

Thanks!

2. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    Are they molting? When did they stop laying? Have you been in the deep freeze this winter like some of us have? My Khakis molt in the fall then take time off from laying during the short days and usually start back up in March. Though giving artificial light can help I prefer not to as it can be stressful for them. Just be patient.

And [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. DucksnDaffodils

DucksnDaffodils Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Michigan
    I don't have any ideas because I am in the same boat! My ducks stopped laying a couple months ago and I don't know why! Of course where I live we have had some drastically cold temps.. so that is my only guess. It's too cold for them to lay.[​IMG] Sorry I can't help, just wanted to let you know you're not the only one!

4. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I have heard most ducks don't lay during the winter, but I may be wrong. Also, I think it is good to allow them to give their bodies a break from laying an egg every day :)

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    8 out of 10 times I notice a decrease in eggs here, it is not that my Ladies have stopped laying, but rather that they've found a new and improved, better hiding spot! Mine did stop from about Oct til Dec 21, but started right back up with Solstice. All my ducks are laying now. And it's C. O. L. D.

6. TreCurtis

TreCurtis Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks everyone! I'm glad I'm not alone! Hopefully I'll start seeing some action in the coming months! I'm in CT and it has been incredibly cold here. Last year they were laying through the winter, but perhaps this year has been a little too much for them.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by