Keep a clean coop

Well, that would be nasty. Maybe if you had about 6" of gravel and good drainage, and could hose it down every couple weeks....
I kinda like your thinking here, now if you could build a drainage channel that collected water and test it out to see if it burns your veggies or ornamentals, or build an adjoining raised bed on top of a pea gravel mat to use the run off for fertilizer might make for a complementary system.

I've used "Mainely Mulch" to throw down in their run to help dry it up and not be so wet, but I have to rake it out and dump it after three days or so, it gets too mucky.

You shouldn't have to clean out mulch every few days.
Is your run covered? I'm guessing it is not.
What kind of mulch are you using and how deep are you making it?
Do you have a drainage problem in your run?

I use wood chips and undyed mulch, it depends on whats available when I need it. My run is covered so not much rain gets in it. I haven't cleaned it out in over 3 years, I just add to it. I also add leaves and yard/garden waste. That being said, I know a few people that have open runs and use mulch or wood chips and don't have a problem with it getting mucky or nasty. There are also people on here with open runs that use mulch/wood chips, without problems.

I run a very open coop that is covered. We live on clay soil that never drains well. When the coop gets wet I always know it is time to break out the hay and cover it until the coop is sufficiently elevated that any water pooling underneath is a non issue. The chicken(silkies) hate hay getting added apparently it is a monster. Within an hour they are either over it and in their run or hiding out under a bush to stay dry all the while getting wet from the rain. My chicken chicken just head on up to the nice dry porch and gourge themselves on catfood.

Back to something topical I don't notice any flies or smells inside the coop, so am assuming I am using the DLM(deep litter method) method here. Anyhoo, should my coop have a smell it is closer to the neighbors house than my own so I got that covered here.

Back
Top Bottom