Keep broody and babies with the flock?

LisaS89

In the Brooder
May 1, 2021
Hi all!
Our broody hen just hatched two baby chicks. We kept her in the nesting box the whole time. She seems to be ok but the other hens also like to use that box and keep coming in to disturb her. The chicks are about 24 hours old. Wondering if we should move her to give her some peace and keep the babies safe. Also considering just blocking off an area of the hen house with chicken wire for them for a little while. Thoughts?

I would either completely separate them or block off a special area for momma and babies. I have tried keeping the hen and chicks with the flock but I had a few casualties. None since separating them! The chicks will also eventually need chick crumble, and it can be annoying keeping the whole flock away from the crumble or feeding everyone the new chick food.

I would either completely separate them or block off a special area for momma and babies. I have tried keeping the hen and chicks with the flock but I had a few casualties. None since separating them! The chicks will also eventually need chick crumble, and it can be annoying keeping the whole flock away from the crumble or feeding everyone the new chick food.
Thank you! I’ve thought about blocking off the nesting box for a little bit but then the mom won’t be able to leave so it’s not really a long term solution.

Thank you! I’ve thought about blocking off the nesting box for a little bit but then the mom won’t be able to leave so it’s not really a long term solution.
If you have any sort of large bin or can afford to go grab one from the store, that's what I would use! I have one of my hens in an old water trough with her eggs (and a few that have already hatched) with food and water for all. I cover it at night and they're fine! For me it's a lot less stressful than keeping her with the rest of the flock. I was very sad about some of the chicks that had passed away :(

What is your broody’s position in the pecking order?
I have, for the past 2 years, let my hen Moonshine, brood in the nest box and then move them to a separated ‘apartment’ in the coop after chicks hatch. She wasn’t very high in the pecking order, so I separated them each time. They also had a separated part of the run. However, this year, I have re-homed the older mean hens, so now I think she can hold her own. She may be broody now, and I am thinking I might like to try letting her and babies stay in the flock. I feed everyone the same all flock feed, so that isn’t an issue.
I will be interested to see how it goes for your hen, and to read about others’ experiences.
Good luck!

I recently had a broody hatch 7 chicks. The next day she had them moved to the coop floor then I helped them move down to the run where the food/water is since we have a ramp but probably didn’t even need to do that. She handled everything just fine. I had switched the whole flock to starter crumble and she chased off any hens that got too close or interested in the chicks. Every night she’d get them up the ramp (the first few nights I helped) and sleep with them on the coop floor. It’s been wonderful having them raised as part of the flock. I am so glad I don’t have to go through integration if I would have separated them. I was nervous but I just made sure to watch pretty closely those first few days. She had them out free ranging (stuck close to the run) on day 3! Good luck with yours!

What is your broody’s position in the pecking order?
I have, for the past 2 years, let my hen Moonshine, brood in the nest box and then move them to a separated ‘apartment’ in the coop after chicks hatch. She wasn’t very high in the pecking order, so I separated them each time. They also had a separated part of the run. However, this year, I have re-homed the older mean hens, so now I think she can hold her own. She may be broody now, and I am thinking I might like to try letting her and babies stay in the flock. I feed everyone the same all flock feed, so that isn’t an issue.
I will be interested to see how it goes for your hen, and to read about others’ experiences.
Good luck!
She is (or was) mid level pecking order, shes a large frizzle cochin, but her babies were unfortunately smothered in the corner of the coop. I believe another broody hen (one of my seramas) was trying to get underneath my cochin to brood the chicks and in the fray the babies perished. My hens are generally very nice, they get along well with each other, my rooster sees to that!

Hi all!
Our broody hen just hatched two baby chicks. We kept her in the nesting box the whole time. She seems to be ok but the other hens also like to use that box and keep coming in to disturb her. The chicks are about 24 hours old. Wondering if we should move her to give her some peace and keep the babies safe. Also considering just blocking off an area of the hen house with chicken wire for them for a little while. Thoughts?
If she can't protect her chicks to keep the others away from her space in the nest then best to move her, blocking off an area with chicken wire is a great idea then they all can still see eachother and mother can care for her chicks in peace. I wouldn't leave it for too many weeks though so mother can integrate the chicks into the flock - although if she can't hold her own and protect the chicks when you do let them out then they will need to stay seperated a bit longer.

If you have any sort of large bin or can afford to go grab one from the store, that's what I would use! I have one of my hens in an old water trough with her eggs (and a few that have already hatched) with food and water for all. I cover it at night and they're fine! For me it's a lot less stressful than keeping her with the rest of the flock. I was very sad about some of the chicks that had passed away :(
Can they get out?

If she can't protect her chicks to keep the others away from her space in the nest then best to move her, blocking off an area with chicken wire is a great idea then they all can still see eachother and mother can care for her chicks in peace. I wouldn't leave it for too many weeks though so mother can integrate the chicks into the flock - although if she can't hold her own and protect the chicks when you do let them out then they will need to stay seperated a bit longer.
That’s kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. I just don’t want them separated for too long as she is used to free ranging. So far the chicks are ok and have stayed under her. I was just concerned seeing other chickens come in and out of her box. I would like to leave her but it also makes me nervous. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom