Keep chicks in garage?

Deliaelena

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2023
Hi there. I want to know if I can keep my new chicks in a plastic tub with a baby gate as a cover in the garage. It’s gets really cold at night, but I have a heat lamp. Will it be warm enough? Also, will any predators (rats, mice, snakes) get in my garage and harm the chicks?

Last edited:
In addition, you can do a test run to see how the temperatures fluctuate during the night while using a heat lamp, in other words, to see if a heat lamp would be sufficient

Whether any predators can get in or not, only you can decide that, you can see your garage. Does the door come down and lock?
How many chicks? How big is the the tub? Tubs can get dangerous if they're too small and the chicks can't cool off.
Yes it’s a standard garage. Everything closes properly and it’s not old or run down in any way. I’m worried about rats/mice I guess. We have those around. My cats take care of them outside, but no cats in the garage and it worries me. 4 chicks, tub is probably 3x6 feet width and length

I have had issues with plastic tubs in the past. They don't get enough air circulating in the bottom. I have one my husband drilled a bunch of holes along the bottom of that I occasionally use for chicks but I prefer an appliance box because I can throw it away when I'm done. As long as the chicks have a place to get away from the heat lamp that should work for a few weeks.

I have had issues with plastic tubs in the past. They don't get enough air circulating in the bottom. I have one my husband drilled a bunch of holes along the bottom of that I occasionally use for chicks but I prefer an appliance box because I can throw it away when I'm done. As long as the chicks have a place to get away from the heat lamp that should work for a few weeks.
Would you leave them in the garage with a baby gate on the top? Haha. Also how close/far away should the heat lamp be? It’s 250 watt and about 10 inches from the floor but they like staying directly under it.

This is the tub & heat lamp position. It will be for 4 chicks

Attachments

• 315EF37E-9437-4F4C-9E0A-567511C6D290.jpeg
    315EF37E-9437-4F4C-9E0A-567511C6D290.jpeg
    361.7 KB · Views: 8
  • C6AF8750-CDCB-4A61-A257-70B9440EFD4C.jpeg
    C6AF8750-CDCB-4A61-A257-70B9440EFD4C.jpeg
    533.6 KB · Views: 8
I have brooded in the garage with a baby gate on top lol. I don't think that bin looks 3x6 though? At any rate if they are huddled under the light its fine for now. As they get bigger you will have to raise the heat lamp. They will spread out more but if they are retreating to the edges of the bin or getting pasty butt you will know its too hot.

Depending on the wattage of the heat bulb I would be concerned about melting the plastic tub.
I can’t emphasize enough how dangerous those heat lamps are as far as fires.
I have started mine in a garage several times. I use a metal stock water tank like the ones the farm stores use for their chicks . I started out using a thermometer and trying the heat lamp at different heights to find the desired temperature, then raising the height slightly each week to lower the temperature by 5 degrees. I like to have the light set up on one end where they can go to it if they need to and out from under it if they get too hot.
Fastening the heat lamp securely is imperative as I once had one fall down and thankfully found it before it caught the wood shavings on fire, or hurt the birds.
When I first started raising chickens, I made my starting pen out of scrap lumber bottom and corners and wire for the sides in a garage.
I now put screen wire over the top of the tank to help keep rodents or snakes out and chicks in. I clamp it on with alligator clamps where it’s easy to remove to feed and water.
A word of warning chickens will make dust so might want to cover up items in the garage.

I would shift the lamp over to one end or the other, rather than the middle, so there's a more clearly defined cool area for them to retreat to if needed.

You can also pick up pretty cheap a pair of little thermometers to place on the ground. Technically they say you don't need it bc you can just observe if they are huddled under the lamp, vs. trying to escape via an edge, or just happily milling about. But it may give you the peace of mind while you're sleeping that the surface temp under the lamp isn't TOO hot, and I'd watch long enough that you're satisfied they are comfortable, and the temp is stable before going to bed.

The tub / gate lid is probably fine for now, but they may soon outgrow it. Just try to be responsive as they get bigger that they aren't over crowded, but with just four, it might not be too bad. Their presence isn't going to magically attract mice or rats, but open food might, so just keep their feed and treats in a sealed tub or bucket if you are wary about pests.

I was also going to ask if you have a way to secure the baby gate? That way you can also mount the lamp above that and prevent the lamp from falling directly into the pine shavings of it were to come loose. We have always brooded in a metal dog crate, and then wrapped it in cardboard to keep the chicks and pine shavings in.

Back
Top Bottom