Keep finding weird eggs?!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aineheartsyou, Sep 15, 2011.

1. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    So, I have 4 runner girls laying right now and have been getting 3-4 eggs a day this last week. A couple days this week I have found weird soft shelled eggs around our place. One was teeny tiny right by their pool. When I broke it open there was no yolk and the second one was chicken egg size (with yolk) under our suburban (where my holderread's birds like to lay). So my question is, is it possible that one of my holderread babies is laying these weird eggs? they are only 11 weeks old? My runner girl's eggs have always had nice strong shells and they are laying consistently in their nest. Any ideas? [​IMG]

2. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    It sounds like this could be a "first time" layer. Sometimes they take a couple of eggs before they start "looking right".

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    When my rouen girl first started laying she layed a really tinny egg, with a eetsy beetsy yolk in it lol.

4. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Isnt 11 weeks too young to be laying eggs?

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Yes it is, even for runners.

6. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    you are misunderstanding, my 4 runner girls are 6 months old and are laying 3-4 eggs a day consistently. I also have 2 11 week old WH that I *think* might be laying these weird eggs in the middle of the day since my runners lay theirs in the morning.

7. Quackwacky

Quackwacky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    If this helps, I found a soft egg today from one of my 6 month old mallards and they have been all laying fine. I'm not sure of the cause and if anyone knows why it would happen after I have already seen her lay 12 others that were fine, I would love to hear it. We did cut it open and it had a fertilized yolk, but from everything I read on the Internet it was never going to hatch (probably broken by the other ducks) anyway!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:11 weeks is young, even my older Muscovies have laid weird eggs from time to time though, I wouldn't think it's your young ones probably just one of your runners laying some weird ones. might have to sit outside and try to watch and see who it is.

9. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    I got a tiny one today too. I think from my WH she is 5 1/2 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by