Keep getting lice

Silkiechicken66

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2016
So about the beginning of this year I got a pair of fantail pigeons. Ever since I got them they just keep getting lice. I treat it, it goes away for a week, then comes back. None of my chickens or ducks have it, or have ever gotten it.

I’ve tried everything. I tried dawn then borax and even some specific poultry lice spray that everyone near me praised. They go away for about a week and ALWAYS. COME. BACK.

I’ve even moved their aviary around the yard, bleaching every single thing inside as I did.

Tried different foods, treatment methods, enclosures, areas, keeping Inside/not exposed to anything, etc. and nothing keeps the lice away. And every time I do treat there is NOTHING left on them. My current treatment is two borax baths a day for 2-3 days. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Help please!

, did you clear out all their bedding and sterilize where they stay? I usually treat again about 6 days later for any eggs that were missed, you need to treat walls floors, if they have perches, sterilize watesr and feeders. Those little buggers are hard to kill if whole environment isn't cleared and keep coming back

I use sevin powder on them, treat again in 5-6 days

, did you clear out all their bedding and sterilize where they stay? I usually treat again about 6 days later for any eggs that were missed, you need to treat walls floors, if they have perches, sterilize watesr and feeders. Those little buggers are hard to kill if whole environment isn't cleared and keep coming back
Yes I treat every thing in their enclosure. Bleach everything. Replace bedding and bleach nesting box.

I treat two days then again a week after.

racing-pigeon-feather-lice.jpg
images (5).jpeg
Are you dealing with this parasite?
I ask because the term lice can get thrown around for a number of different species. Something like bird mites can live off the bird in bedding or the cage itself but a feather louse can't survive off of a bird for very long.

View attachment 1897893 View attachment 1897894 Are you dealing with this parasite?
I ask because the term lice can get thrown around for a number of different species. Something like bird mites can live off the bird in bedding or the cage itself but a feather louse can't survive off of a bird for very long.
It’s Feather louse that they have. Realized I didn’t specify oops.

That's odd, you seem to be doing everything right. I haven't heard of this parasite being so stubborn.

Have you tried Ivermectin drops like these? I use it on my birds monthly as a preventative.
I haven’t been able to find Ivermectin around my area. And I’ve looked. Do you know if I can order it offline?

Back
Top Bottom