Keep it simple for 5 chickens what design

Quote:
Yuh huh, ask all the other folks here who 'never planned to get more than 5 chickens' when they started out ;>

The other 2 pieces of information we need are 1) where are you located, and 2) do you expect to ever let the chickens out in the yard?

A big tractor would work pretty well if you live somewhere that does not get Serious Winters and you plan on letting them out to roam the yard for at least some time many days a week.

If you live somewhere without Serious Winter but don't want your chickens on the loose, a tractor would be a little more challenging but could most certainly still work, especially if you make the 'house' part and the 'run' part separate so you move 'em as separate (thus individually lighter-weight) units.

If you live somewhere with Serious Winter then a tractor may not work so well for you -- it is hard to keep it un-damp yet not drafty and excessively cold. Also of course if you do not *want* to have to move something daily, and get chicken poop strewn across the yard, then obviously you need a stationary coop not a tractor, no matter what your climate.

As far as stationary coops go, we would still need to know what kind of climate and whether the chickens will ever get out beyond their run. Brian's suggestion of 4x8 is a smart one (is much much cheaper and easier to build if you use 'naturally occurring' dimensions of lumber); if you added a 4x8 or 8x<whatever> run, they'd be pretty well off indeed.

Slightly elevated = just build it up on blocks, lots of designs here like that. Well, unless you want the chickens to be able to go under it, then it becomes a much more difficult proposition if you want YOU to be able to go into the coop as well (which, for that size coop, I would *highly* recommend, ease of cleaning wise).

Anything that is simply-constructed inside (not too many crevices) with a basically smooth floor (good-surfaced or painted plywood, or plywood with vinyl flooring over it) will be plenty easy to clean.

Make sure you slope the roof AWAY from the run - don't want to be dumping lots of extra water in the chickens' play yard
wink.png

Hope this helps a little,

Pat

Check out mine. I only have four chickens. So far its working out great, very easy to clean and my carpenter built it for me in a couple of days. Click on the web page link below. I use a cat little scoop to scoop the poop out every couple of days and the roost is mounted with a plastic closet holder so its easy to lift out and clean.

Check out mine too, it has what you described. Click on the blue link below, it would be good for 5 birds, I have 5 bantam cochins in mine, but plenty or room. I have the roost up high enough that others can move around under them, so you might want to build your just a bit taller for standard size birds if you use my design. The big door is a breeze for cleaning, egg collecting, adjusting temp, lighting, etc. Everything is within arms reach. I have a string that goes from the hatch door into the run up and across the top of the run, so I can open it from outside. I plan to build a larger coop though so I can have a larger flock and several larger egg layers.

Quote:
Nope, but I could walk you through it. Are you going to want to insulate it? if not, you could get away with not walling in the inside, like I do.

To bad you don't live closer, I have one finished ready to sell right now.

it gets down into the 20s here at night maybe 10 days, moslty low 30s in the winter, I need to ventilate it well since the summer hits 100 with humidity. If you have a material list that would be great or anymore pics you have. [email protected] is my email thanks a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom