Keep the rooster or get rid of him???

Don't forget, as you are raising chicks you stand a good chance of getting another roo or more. Our oritinal roo was a doll then turned mean. We had two roos hatch and it turned out one was very sweet and the other was a real pain as well. I gave the first mean one away (I could not stomach killing and eating our original roo that we had named) then realized he probably ended up on someones table anyway.

During this whole period the hens were out of sorts.So I killed the other mean rooster and there is peace in the coop once again.

It is easier now to kill mean hens and roos in order to have peace, since peace means more eggs and fewer fights.

I started out with 5 chicks and three of them turned out to be roosters. I absolutely loved one of them but he was a really aggressive to the other chickens and the other would try to flog me as I walked away from him..so yeah, he didn't stay. I had high hopes for Mr. Fluffy but I am really at the end of my rope with him. I hope by getting rid of him I can have peace with my little flock.

He just makes it so much easier to collect them and put them back into their coop. I am kind of dreading not having him around for that. But my alpha hen knows what the meal worm jar looks like and waddles over as quick as she can for that. I will have to pick up and extra container lol

Are you sure the flogging is not just him doing what roosters do? A good point made was perhaps the head hen is being difficult. He may not be the only one at fault here.

How would you tell if the alpha hen is at fault? I never see him mate her but other than that..
hu.gif

Are you sure the flogging is not just him doing what roosters do? A good point made was perhaps the head hen is being difficult. He may not be the only one at fault here.

Good Point!!

When I first started with chickens I had previously had a bad experience with a mean rooster so I decided I didn't want one.. For two years I had hens, One of the hens, a BA was top flock master, even mounting some of the hens... When we decided to increase our flock and got a rooster she not only would not allow him to mate her but would fight him off the other hens. It took him about 2 months for her to finally submit and had I known about all this then I may have very well gotten rid of her as she was obviously the problem..

Back
Top Bottom