Keep your fingers crossed - New run arrivig

The chicks are big, they won't get out.
I am concerned about earth work - I mean Dachshund means badger dog, and I believe 'terrier' also references earth work......
and she is STILL barking at the turtle!

The chicks are big, they won't get out.
I am concerned about earth work - I mean Dachshund means badger dog, and I believe 'terrier' also references earth work......
and she is STILL barking at the turtle!

As a chick my Wyandotte, Popcorn, always preferred to go under a fence rather than over it. She's a formidable digger.

I'd use hardware cloth for sure, at the very least up the bottom few feet and then bent out and laid on the ground as an apron at least 18" out. Make sure to get those gaps between the panels covered as well as the gap around the door frame, again, at least the bottom few feet.

If you have enough material to cover higher than that, that would be even better.

The chicks would have considered becoming ducks. I am glad I kept them in the shed, they would have been soacked.
Well, it is moving day! :)
Gosh, I am scared!

So this is what it looked like last night!
I was so glad they were still in the shed!
full

This morning they then moved out into the Adventure Hut. I modified as we went along, dismantled the cardboard brooder and set the side pieces up around the corners by the roost. to give them a hideout. The Chickenhawk pup has not been outside yet, shockingly enough. She was upset I would not let her play with 'The Rock' (turtle was still here this morning, but has since found a hiding space. I hope)
A lot of modifications need to be done still. The feeder I had sitting under the tarp and thought was fine was soaked. I just dumped the feed out. I am sure they will scratch it into the dirt and poop on it but for now, they have plenty to eat and explore. I tossed a couple handful of birdseed about, to get them to peck, but it was not really needed.
After they gave me the hairy eyeball during the transfer process, they did come near me and pecked out of the bowl I had sitting in front of me. So even if I slacked off on the socialization, they are not completely feral.
I think tonight for bed check I will bring a handful of mealworms.
So what do I have there? 5 girls?

Attachments

• IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    608.9 KB · Views: 2
Looking good!

I could have used some of that rain. Send it up here, please.

The feeder I had sitting under the tarp and thought was fine was soaked. I just dumped the feed out. I am sure they will scratch it into the dirt and poop on it but for now, they have plenty to eat and explore.

Been there and done that. I made a temporary feeder shelter during an integration and misjudged the slope so I overlapped two pieces of metal roof scrap the wrong way so that water poured into the feeder.

I dumped it out and the flock had it cleaned up in a couple days -- just watch to make sure it doesn't mold and shovel it out if it does.

So what do I have there? 5 girls?

Look like girls to me.

Back
Top Bottom