Keeping 2 Roosters?

Christina.Rich

Songster
Apr 30, 2018
:wee

Hi all,

I'm new to chickens, and I am learning something new every day by being a part of this awesome group. Today, I have what's probably a very dumb question to ask all of you and that question is:

Can I keep 2 roosters?

I ask because I have had a Serama rooster and a bantam cochin rooster. I just recently got the cochin this past weekend and they don't seem to get along. Many stare downs and fighting between the two of them.

I have about 20 mixed breed hens in my flock. My coop itself is quite large, and the outside run is 15' x 32' so its quite a large space for them to hang.

I thought there was a 1:8 ratio for roosters, but I believe I failed to do enough research on keeping two roosters.

What experience do you have in keeping roosters together? Is it possible? Will they eventually get along?

Right now I have them separated, but its kind of a pain because I rotate them daily to be able to come out. 1/2 the day the cochin is locked in the coop, and the other 1/2 of the day he is out and vice versa with the serama roo.

I really want to keep both though as they both have adorable personalities and I just love hearing them crow. I also want to at some point get 1-2 more bantam cochin roosters as I want to start breeding them in the near future but just want to have a game plan. Problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing apparently.

:idunno

:wee

Hi all,

I'm new to chickens, and I am learning something new every day by being a part of this awesome group. Today, I have what's probably a very dumb question to ask all of you and that question is:

Can I keep 2 roosters?

I ask because I have had a Serama rooster and a bantam cochin rooster. I just recently got the cochin this past weekend and they don't seem to get along. Many stare downs and fighting between the two of them.

I have about 20 mixed breed hens in my flock. My coop itself is quite large, and the outside run is 15' x 32' so its quite a large space for them to hang.

I thought there was a 1:8 ratio for roosters, but I believe I failed to do enough research on keeping two roosters.

What experience do you have in keeping roosters together? Is it possible? Will they eventually get along?

Right now I have them separated, but its kind of a pain because I rotate them daily to be able to come out. 1/2 the day the cochin is locked in the coop, and the other 1/2 of the day he is out and vice versa with the serama roo.

I really want to keep both though as they both have adorable personalities and I just love hearing them crow. I also want to at some point get 1-2 more bantam cochin roosters as I want to start breeding them in the near future but just want to have a game plan. Problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing apparently.

:idunno
I will be watching out for responses here because I have the same question. My 10 Mottled Java chicks are only nine weeks old and I have not heard the first crowing but I have identified six roosters, if not seven! The cockerels have redder and more developed combs, and also are getting their wattles. Christina, we need a plan!

Back
Top Bottom