Keeping a few Cornish hens.................

Pics
Was she that big?
They were raised to be processed at 2 months old, but at that time I decided to keep some for breeding. Eventually, all of them past away.........................but hopefully some of their babies will survive the flue season.

They were raised to be processed at 2 months old, but at that time I decided to keep some for breeding. Eventually, all of them past away.........................but hopefully some of their babies will survive the flue season.
Aww yea and GOOD LUCK

I started a rotation, I moved the 1st batch to my back coop, it has a screen floor, so they won't be happy about it, and then I moved the 2nd batch and 3rd batch up one. I also took out all the bedding and washed the bins.

I went to Walmart and bought a bag of pine shavings which I should have done at the start. Anyway, I am going to use the peat moss for my potted plants., so I didn't lose anything.

This is a picture of my last hatch, a Breese hen crossed with a Dark Cornish rooster. I am glad to see a few white ones. I hope they have pea combs and blue legs, its to early to tell.

DSCN0398.JPG

Last edited:
This is a picture of my last hatch, a Breese hen crossed with a Dark Cornish rooster. I am glad to see a few white ones. I hope they have pea combs and blue legs, its to early to tell.
The lightest two in that photo remind me of White Laced Red Cornish chicks. I'll be watching to see what color yours grow up to be-- all white or red-and-white or something different.

The lightest two in that photo remind me of White Laced Red Cornish chicks. I'll be watching to see what color yours grow up to be-- all white or red-and-white or something different.
I have 2 month old chicks from a White Plymouth Rock and Dark Cornish, they look like the White Laced Red Cornish. Some one pointed out that I need to breed these chicks with another recessive white to turn them white. I was planning on breeding them to these newly hatch chicks when they get older, but the Breese has dominant white, so its up in the air.

I might have better results using the Cornish X/ White Plymouth Rock chicks....................

I have 2 month old chicks from a White Plymouth Rock and Dark Cornish, they look like the White Laced Red Cornish. Some one pointed out that I need to breed these chicks with another recessive white to turn them white. I was planning on breeding them to these newly hatch chicks when they get older, but the Breese has dominant white, so its up in the air.
Dominant White would be the right gene to turn black lacing into white lacing, so that makes sense. I wasn't sure what genes your white birds have (and of course they could have more than one gene for white-- recessive white can hide anything, including Dominant White or Silver or both.)

Dominant White would be the right gene to turn black lacing into white lacing, so that makes sense. I wasn't sure what genes your white birds have (and of course they could have more than one gene for white-- recessive white can hide anything, including Dominant White or Silver or both.)
The yellow chicks with the chip monk stripe will probably have the same colors as the White Laced Red Cornish. The brown chick with the chip monk stripe will probably pull on the dark Cornish side.

The 2 yellow chicks with out the chip monk stripe will probably pull on the White Breese side.

Last edited:
The yellow chicks with the chip monk stripe will probably have the same colors as the White Laced Red Cornish. The brown chick with the chip monk stripe will probably pull on the dark Cornish side.

The 2 yellow chicks with out the chip monk stripe will probably pull on the White Breese side.
I was only noticing two categories of chicks in that photo:
3 with obvious stripes, that I'm guessing will grow up with something like Dark Cornish coloring.
2 yellow with faint stripes (shades of red/yellow/white). They are the ones reminding me of White Laced Red Cornish chicks.

In that particular recent photo, I did not see any yellow chicks with NO stripes.

So either you have a few more chicks that I wasn't noticing in the photo, or you and I are describing the same chicks in different ways. Either way, I'll certainly be curious to see how they grow up :)

2 yellow with faint stripes (shades of red/yellow/white). They are the ones reminding me of White Laced Red Cornish chicks.
I see what you are saying, one has a very light brown stripe, but the other one is yellow with no stripe. I just checked. Total 5............

Back
Top Bottom