Keeping a few Cornish hens.................

Pics
the other one is yellow with no stripe.
What I see on that chick:
white (or pale yellow) along the back
light red (or dark yellow) along each side

So either a white stripe on a light red chick, or two light red stripes on a white chick.
(I agree there is no darker stripe along the middle of the back on that chick.)

White Laced Red Cornish can have that kind of striping (or sort-of striping), and I've had to sort them out from all-yellow chicks a few times, so I might be extra-sensitive to it. Or maybe the photo is causing it to look different, and in person it really is a solid yellow all over :lol:

I started putting the concentrated oregano oil in all of the chicks water. It kind of smells like vicks vapor rub. This 8oz commercial grade additive will last a very long time as it only needs 1ml per gallon of water. I use a small syringe to measure it. Their patented technology dissolves the oregano oil and other ingredients in water, so the oil doesn't float to the top.

I put down 2 sick chicks the same day I found them and the rest are strong and active. This was the first time I had to deal with sick chicken, so I freaked out and bought 3 different treatment options. The first one I used is a natural antibiotic, second is a nutritional vitamin treatment for sick chickens, and third is for the prevention and treatment of coccidiosis (bloody scours) .

Last edited:
I started putting the concentrated oregano oil in all of the chicks water. It kind of smells like vicks vapor rub. This 8oz commercial grade additive will last a very long time as it only needs 1ml per gallon of water. I use a small syringe to measure it. Their patented technology dissolves the oregano oil and other ingredients in water, so the oil doesn't float to the top.

I put down 2 sick chicks the same day I found them and the rest are strong and active. This was the first time I had to deal with sick chicken, so I freaked out and bought 3 different treatment options. The first one I used is a natural antibiotic, second is a nutritional vitamin treatment for sick chickens, and third is for the prevention and treatment of coccidiosis (bloody scours) .
Oregano oil works so good and my chickens love it for some reason in their water. Sorry about ur 2 chickies:hugs. Hope the others stay healthy!

The first batch are eating close to a quart of crumble a day. Looks like I got one Cornish Cross rooster, three Cornish Cross females and two regular Breese roosters. I can use the Breese roosters to establish my own line if I decide to go that route.

I have been roasting 3 lbs Breese halves, seasoned with just garlic salt, in my small toaster oven for dinner recently. I like it better this way, I didn't like the Chinese five spice recipe I posted earlier, but the soy chicken recipe was definitely a keeper.

DSCN0405.JPG
DSCN0399.JPG

Last edited:
The first batch are eating close to a quart of crumble a day. Looks like I got one Cornish Cross rooster, three Cornish Cross females and two regular Breese roosters. I can use the Breese roosters to establish my own line if I decide to go that route.

I have been roasting 3 lbs Breese halves, seasoned with just garlic salt, in my small toaster oven for dinner recently. I like it better this way, I didn't like the Chinese five spice recipe I posted earlier, but the soy chicken recipe was definitely a keeper.

View attachment 2952850View attachment 2952851
Awwwmtheyre so cute and that looks good

The first batch hit 8 weeks today and they did not grow like their Cornish Cross parents. They act like regular chickens, but got the low to the ground round look. They maybe table ready at 3 months.

I opened their wire floor coop yesterday to see what they would do and all of them jumped down, and at the end of the day, all except two jumped back up to sleep in their coop. I had to carry in two when it got dark.

I need to process some 4 month old Breese crosses as soon as the weather clears up to make room for the 2nd and 3rd batch.

I ordered some live white tilapia, prawns, and hybrid stripe bass online from a hatchery in Florida. They have over night shipping, but they won't guarantee live delivery to Hawaii. The white tilapias and hybrid stripe bass can grow bigger than 11 pounds, so its a good protein alternative..

Last edited:
The first batch hit 8 weeks today and they did not grow like their Cornish Cross parents. They act like regular chickens, but got the low to the ground round look. They maybe table ready at 3 months.

I opened their wire floor coop yesterday to see what they would do and all of them jumped down, and at the end of the day, all except two jumped back up to sleep in their coop. I had to carry in two when it got dark.

I need to process some 4 month old Breese crosses as soon as the weather clears up to make room for the 2nd and 3rd batch.

I ordered some live white tilapia, prawns, and hybrid stripe bass online from a hatchery in Florida. They have over night shipping, but they won't guarantee live delivery to Hawaii. The white tilapias and hybrid stripe bass can grow bigger than 11 pounds, so its a good protein alternative..
sounds like they’re doing pretty good! Florida does have some good fish places🤣 good luck with them!

I just got done processing 3 roosters, one 4 month old Breese and two 5 month old Dark Cornish. The Dark Cornish body is compact like we see in the grocery store while the Breese body is longer similar to heritage breeds. However the 4 month old Breese chicken is the same weight as one of the 5 month old Dark Cornish, but not as big as the dominant 5 lbs Dark Cornish.

The last picture is showing the 8 week old Cornish/Breese cross begging to go outside........

DSCN0411.JPG

DSCN0418.JPG

This is a picture of 3 month old Dark Cornish/White Plymouth Rock crosses. I can see tan barring on two of the males when I make the picture bigger. I think its from the White Plymouth Rock because I see one or two black bar feathers.

DSCN0416.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom