Keeping a few Cornish hens.................

I made a nest with a 10 gallon pot I had laying around, I hope they use it. I used strips of shade cloth fabric for the front curtain. The 5 gallon bucket nest I made a while back for my heritage birds was kind of too small, and was seldom used. This 10 gallon pot has way more space. I am also using one of those plastic nest floors that suppose to keep their eggs clean.

DSCN0486.JPG

Last edited:
Very impressive!! Productive layers?
The first batch just start laying small eggs every so often, but not everyday, so they are not considered productive in my opinion. The second batch are being mounted, but they haven't laid an egg yet.

That is one Mightily Impressive Hen, as you can see she inherited her dark eggs(id+) from her Bresse sire
In the first and second batch, I had some hens with blue legs, green legs, and yellow legs. I don't think I got any with white legs except for the rooster from the second batch. All the hens are meatier than the Heritage breeds I raised in the past.

Last edited:
The rooster with the white leg is crowing like there is no tomorrow and he is beginning to hit a nerve. He hasn't been beaten up to a pulp by my 2 year old Breese rooster yet, so he is crowing like a dominant rooster, in comparison to my beat up rooster with the yellow legs, who play the sing along chorus role. I am pretty sure he will die if I put a rooster collar on him. He has the same characteristics. as my previous Plymouth Rock rooster who died from wearing a rooster collar, I am tempted to let him loose with my Breese rooster to shut him up, but the thought of how sharp and long my Breese rooster's spurs are prevent me from doing it.

Last edited:
Egg production, the bigger egg is from a regular Breese hen and the 3 eggs below it are from the Breese/Cornish X cross. However, one of the three smaller eggs could belong to a dark Cornish/Plymouth Rock cross. I think its the biggest of the 3 since she started laying 3 weeks before the rest.

I am beginning to regret culling my egg layers.

DSCN0487.JPG

Last edited:
The Dark Cornish Chicks with the black neck feathers changed color. The black on their necks look like greys. I think its a throw back to the original Breese.

DSCN0490.JPG

DSCN0488.JPG

Egg production, the bigger egg is from a regular Breese hen and the 3 eggs below it are from the Breese/Cornish X cross. However, one of the three smaller eggs could belong to a dark Cornish/Plymouth Rock cross. I think its the biggest of the 3 since she started laying 3 weeks before the rest.

I am beginning to regret culling my egg layers.

View attachment 3036737
You got further than me on the project. I save 2 cornishx roosters, but 1 died and the remain may be a hen. As right now, I have no rooster to proceed. The pure Bresse rooster just too noisy so end up in the pot about a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom