Keeping a pigeon in the house

This is one of many aviaries/bird habitats I have, for my Ringneck doves, Pip and Eve. I designed the metal framed ones and had them built. It was a huge project, but I was determined to get away from cages with bars. I wanted as much flight space as possible, easy access for cleaning, and predator proof living. You can see Andy here, his cat TV! (He's my miracle child, an extreme Manx I rescued as a very sick baby, who is now going on 11. He needs help going to the bathroom, 1 and 2! Cannot go on his own... My diaper peep!) There are little button quail that live in the enclosure on the bottom. They are new to the fold and I'm evaluating better living quarters...

I use a rabbit litter box for the dove seed. They are ground dwellers for feeding, and so I emulate that. The litter box high side helps to keep most of the seed in as they forage for that one little seed at the very bottom of the pile!

View attachment 2980233

View attachment 2980232

I attached another rabbit litter box at the top of the aviary for sleeping and nesting quarters. As you can see, they are busy nesting! Note the top of the aviary has hardware cloth for aviary airflow.

View attachment 2980239

View attachment 2980240
I LOVE your setup!

That's a really nice setup, and a very lucky cat, too, to have you.
Thank you, there are so many more habitats in my home, the culmination of 2 decades worth of working to better the lives of all my peeps (dogs, cats, leopard spotted gecko, guinea pigs, rabbits, birds (diamond doves, finches, Coturnix quail, Ringneck doves, Senegal parrot, love birds, chickens - Orpington, White Sussex, cochin bantams, Seramas, Japanese bantams, all hens, button quail - one errant male that was supposed to be a hen, he will likely go live with a friend)... I'm expecting to see a Llama in my front yard any day now (Just Kidding)! And, yes, all housed inside, inc. chickens! I'm sure the pet chickens inside will garner a wide range of responses from BYC!

Will share over time! :wee

Thank you, there are so many more habitats in my home, the culmination of 2 decades worth of working to better the lives of all my peeps (dogs, cats, leopard spotted gecko, guinea pigs, rabbits, birds (diamond doves, finches, Coturnix quail, Ringneck doves, Senegal parrot, love birds, chickens - Orpington, White Sussex, cochin bantams, Seramas, Japanese bantams, all hens, button quail - one errant male that was supposed to be a hen, he will likely go live with a friend)... I'm expecting to see a Llama in my front yard any day now (Just Kidding)! And, yes, all housed inside, inc. chickens! I'm sure the pet chickens inside will garner a wide range of responses from BYC!

Please do share when you can! I would love to see more.

I'm planning on keeping my pigeon in the house. I have read things about pigeon dander being bad. Is this true? Are there actually any real risks to keeping him in the house if I kept the cage really clean and everything? I could possibly put an air purifier next to his cage if that would help. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Forgot to address the dander. Yes, there will be dander. All animals shed it, and it's up to you to be dedicated to good husbandry. For your one peep, I would not be too concerned about dander. For all of mine, it is a weekly challenge to stay on top of. I have air purifiers in the two rooms where most of my birds live. I had my ductwork replaced with metal a few years ago for better air quality in the house, and this has helped with the dander as well. Last year, I had an ionizer installed in the HVAC system, which neutralizes bacteria and pathogens as the air circulates. I spot clean and deep clean weekly. All habitats for all peeps are completely stripped and cleaned every week. I change out my HVAC filters as I see dander collect, do this as often as needed.

All that done, I still have dander to deal with and then it's vacuuming and zwiffering to the rescue! It's not for the faint of heart, that is for sure, but I'm committed for the long haul.

And here is my favorite emoji again! LOL :wee

That's amazing I would love to see more pictures.

Ok. He is currently in the house and loving it
I told you he would love it. ☺️ Pigeons are not hard to please and he gets all the pigeon attention inside your house. Has he filled out to his adult weight?
Forgot to address the dander. Yes, there will be dander. All animals shed it, and it's up to you to be dedicated to good husbandry. For your one peep, I would not be too concerned about dander. For all of mine, it is a weekly challenge to stay on top of. I have air purifiers in the two rooms where most of my birds live. I had my ductwork replaced with metal a few years ago for better air quality in the house, and this has helped with the dander as well. Last year, I had an ionizer installed in the HVAC system, which neutralizes bacteria and pathogens as the air circulates. I spot clean and deep clean weekly. All habitats for all peeps are completely stripped and cleaned every week. I change out my HVAC filters as I see dander collect, do this as often as needed.

All that done, I still have dander to deal with and then it's vacuuming and zwiffering to the rescue! It's not for the faint of heart, that is for sure, but I'm committed for the long haul.

And here is my favorite emoji again! LOL :wee
I'm not sure your emoji isn't you running around crazy because of all the cleaning you have to do! 😁

I'm not sure your emoji isn't you running around crazy because of all the cleaning you have to do! 😁
Some do it indoors,,, and others outdoors. Exercise is exercise :thumbsup
download.gif

My daughter has kept a fantail pigeon indoors for about five years, now. That bird is the happiest thing in the world! She has a flight cage in her room (for when she isn't home). When she's home, it wears a flight suit (bird diaper) and stays with her - at her computer/desk, roosts on her pillow when she naps, and will follow her (walking, literally) throughout the house. It's hilarious! It is perfectly content.

Attachments

• 1121181504-00.jpg
    1121181504-00.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 5
My daughter has kept a fantail pigeon indoors for about five years, now. That bird is the happiest thing in the world! She has a flight cage in her room (for when she isn't home). When she's home, it wears a flight suit (bird diaper) and stays with her - at her computer/desk, roosts on her pillow when she naps, and will follow her (walking, literally) throughout the house. It's hilarious! It is perfectly content.
That is so sweet!

Back
Top Bottom