Keeping a rooster with the hens when you dont want fertile eggs

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
Ok, I know. Probably a stupid question. But is there any harm or wrongdoing with keeping a rooster or two with the hens if I am NOT seeking more chicks/fertile eggs. The eggs are no different initially, correct? Would we even know a fertile egg from a non fertile in this case. Note....we will be giving most eggs away for consumption.

Ok, I know. Probably a stupid question. But is there any harm or wrongdoing with keeping a rooster or two with the hens if I am NOT seeking more chicks/fertile eggs. The eggs are no different initially, correct? Would we even know a fertile egg from a non fertile in this case. Note....we will be giving most eggs away for consumption.
Shouldn't be any problem if your hens are happy. There is no difference in fertile vs unfertile eggs for consumption, just make sure to collect eggs every day, and if you find a hidden nest with unknown ages of eggs do NOT give those eggs away to anyone! You don't want someone getting a nasty surprise when they Crack them.

Thanks! Do they need to be eaten any sooner? Or just collected within 24 hours?
They are ultimately the same thing. Like normal eggs, they should be collected every 24 hours, but can sit for a few days. Taste the same, be stored for the same amount of days, etc. The only difference is the sperm which can be hard to spot if you don't know what you are looking for. Unless a fertile egg is being brooded, you are NOT eating a baby chick so do not worry.

They are ultimately the same thing. Like normal eggs, they should be collected every 24 hours, but can sit for a few days. Taste the same, be stored for the same amount of days, etc. The only difference is the sperm which can be hard to spot if you don't know what you are looking for. Unless a fertile egg is being brooded, you are NOT eating a baby chick so do not worry.
Good to know. How does brooding lead to the baby chick exactly?

Back
Top Bottom