Keeping a single egg warm, DO NOT TRY!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Frizzledhen, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Chick Adventure: This morning, checking chickens, I found broody hen #1 had pushed one of her eggs out of the nest. It was still warm when I picked it up so I put it under my arm with plans to take it into the house and candle it to see if the chick was still alive. I continued doing my chores almost forgetting the egg was tight up under my arm. When I picked up one of the 5 gal. water pans, OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOmy, I felt the egg crack. I thought maybe the chick was trying to hatch out. It was day 21, hatch day. Then I felt something wet and gooy and there was a distinct smell of rotten egg. I have hatched chicks in my bra and taken a single chick to bed with me to keep it warm and company but remind me to never put a 21 day old egg that a broody has kicked out of the nest under my arm ever again. [​IMG]

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    [​IMG]

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] That ought to smell pretty ripe!

5. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    [​IMG] See, she knew what she was doing [​IMG]

I had to lean across a board this morning, to pick up a dropped bottle...the board cracked, along with an egg that I had apparently stuck in my coat pocket....[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    [​IMG]

7. RepoBob

RepoBob Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    That's hallarius. Not laughing at your misfortune only your situation. [​IMG]

I have had an egg break in the front pocket of my hoodie, but never under my arm. I can only imagine how that felt.

8. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    [​IMG]

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:I keep doing that! I put an egg in my pocket and forget it until I put my coat on and go outside again. Fortunately none of them have broken on me. [​IMG]

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I keep doing that! I put an egg in my pocket and forget it until I put my coat on and go outside again. Fortunately none of them have broken on me. [​IMG]

Speckledhen had a post a little while ago about breaking one in her pocket on the way to town!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by