keeping a single quail?

EricDaniel

Hatching
Sep 11, 2020
Hi, everyone! I am new to the forum and I am sorry if I am not familliar with some of the rules. I wanted to ask for advice from more experienced bird keepers, and to be more precise, I am talking about Japanese quail. For around 2 years I've been taking care for two quail hens as pets. About a month ago, one of the hens, which was younger, passed away. She died from a broken neck, as she was quite a jumper. Both birds were in very good health, and the live one still is. So I am with the older hen, which is now close to three years old. My question is, as she is quite old, I believe she doesn't have that much time to live, what would be the best thing to do in terms of getting a mate? She constantly calls for her friend, which leads me to the conclusion she may need company. The problem is that if I get another japanese hen, she is probably going to outlive the older one, leaving me once again with a single one. I was thinking of getting king quails once I am over with the japanese, so another question rises - can King and Japanese live together? My hen is very meek and calm, whenever there were fights between the two she never attacked her buddy. Overall a very tame bird. As she is getting older, she becomes calmer and calmer. So, please give me advice what would be the best thing to do? Shall i get her a Japanese buddy, can I keep her alone, or can I try with King quails? Looking forward to your feedback.

Last edited:
Mine do fine in cat carriers separate from everyone, but they can still hear other quail. My male got depressed when he was the only one in my basement while healing. Maybe play quail sounds for a little bit every day?

Welcome to BYC! I would suggest getting her a couple of young female friends.

You could try putting her with a few king quail hens, but the two species don't always mix well.

HI, i had 6 quails but unfortunately I was unaware that rats were digging tunnels through the rock and taking them at night, I’ve tried desperately, putting them in various cages in different areas. We’ve had baby chickens in that cage for years as a nursery without issue. Even after moving them, rats were able to climb over the fence and drag them over the top (even with a tarp on top)

Sadly I only have one quail left, I’m currently keeping her inside but I’m worried she is lonely, I’ve ordered rat traps but I need advice on what to do with her. She is lonely but I don’t feel I should bring another quail in at moment and put It in potemtial danger. My mum suggested bringing her back to the breeder but I can’t help but feel guilty, I know not to be a selfish but I don’t want to get rid of her. I truly underestimated the the capabilities of the rats in my area.

I love her but I don’t know what to do
with her, keeping her inside with no grass, lonely in a small area is not ideal for long term but I truly need advice.

HI, i had 6 quails but unfortunately I was unaware that rats were digging tunnels through the rock and taking them at night, I’ve tried desperately, putting them in various cages in different areas. We’ve had baby chickens in that cage for years as a nursery without issue. Even after moving them, rats were able to climb over the fence and drag them over the top (even with a tarp on top)

Sadly I only have one quail left, I’m currently keeping her inside but I’m worried she is lonely, I’ve ordered rat traps but I need advice on what to do with her. She is lonely but I don’t feel I should bring another quail in at moment and put It in potemtial danger. My mum suggested bringing her back to the breeder but I can’t help but feel guilty, I know not to be a selfish but I don’t want to get rid of her. I truly underestimated the the capabilities of the rats in my area.

I love her but I don’t know what to do
with her, keeping her inside with no grass, lonely in a small area is not ideal for long term but I truly need advice.
Can you cover the top and floor of your cage in hardware cloth to keep the rats out? You can put bedding right over the cloth on the floor so the Quail doesn’t even know it’s there, but the rats can’t get in. Then you can move it back outside and get some friends for it.

Back
Top Bottom