Keeping a waterer in coop

6chicks&aduck

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
S E North Dakota
we have 4 ducks and 5 chickens and want to keep a watere inside the coop with out it rotting the floor , had it inside but the mess was to much . it's ( the waterer) in the run now ,as was the pool . they are'nt always let out right in the morn and they get thirsty , any ideas how to solve this , without the mess , it will have to be inside come winter . thanks for any suggestions you may have !!
big_smile.png

Some people do let their ducks go overnight without water- But its nice to see that you are mindful of their needs and want to provide it. I give mine half filled buckets of water at night that are attached to the wall of the pen so they cant be tipped over. There is still some mess made- But its a lot less than when they had a more open container that wasnt attached.

An old duck-keeper told me how to make a no-cost waterer that greatly reduces spills.

Take a milk jug and cut a small circle out about 2/3 of the way up on each side. The circle should be large enough for birds to easily put their heads and necks in plus a little extra space. Then ducks can put their heads in to get a drink, but don't have as much "wiggle-room" to really splash the water alot, plus the milk jug helps contain the water.

This can also be a useful kind of container for feed.

Of course, it is important to still have an outdoor water source, also, for the ducks to be able to splash water over their backs, etc.

Last edited:
I don't keep water in the coop, and never have. Ducks do just fine without it overnight. My duckies do have a small pond outside. In the winter I use a 3 gallon black rubber bucket, it keeps the water from freezing longer.

I've just purchased this waterer and absolutely love it.
http://www.petco.com/product/6998/PETCO-Le-Bistro-Waterer-in-Mystic-Blue.aspx
I did get the 2.75 gallon one, because I don't want to lift and flip 5 gallons. You can cover up half of the opening with something so they wont take a bath in it, but I have to say mine don't do that. Under it I use a deep lid from a large rubbermaid container and it does catch all the water. You can use a large baking sheet or even the plastic trays they build for those doggie pee wee pads.
http://www.petco.com/product/110111/PETCO-Contour-Dog-Litter-Pan.aspx They have a large one besides the small one shown.
Walmart has deep floor mats for wet shoes, which are great too. You can also put a rubber mat under it but that will not catch much of it.

Back
Top Bottom