1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

keeping bedding in the nest boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Amastacia, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Amastacia

Amastacia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    i have an issue where my hens won't leave any bedding in the nest boxes they are currently using. my 14 hens generally pick two boxes they will use, changing things up every few weeks. the boxes themselves are plywood, and i have used straw, shredded paper, and (most often) wood shavings as bedding in them. they sometimes are apparently breaking eggs in the boxes, and i have determined that this only seems to happen when i haven't replentished the bedding in more than a day. anyone else have this problem? anyone have any solutions to it?

thanks.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If it is possible, put a larger lip on the boxes so that kicking out the bedding is more difficult.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

X2

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3 on this.

My nest box fronts are six inches high, and the bedding never comes out.

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    d

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  6. Amastacia

Amastacia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    now that is a good idea. plenty of feed bags lying around, might as well use a few of them. i will give this a try.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by