keeping bedding in the nest boxes

Amastacia

Songster
6 Years
May 9, 2013
SW Michigan
i have an issue where my hens won't leave any bedding in the nest boxes they are currently using. my 14 hens generally pick two boxes they will use, changing things up every few weeks. the boxes themselves are plywood, and i have used straw, shredded paper, and (most often) wood shavings as bedding in them. they sometimes are apparently breaking eggs in the boxes, and i have determined that this only seems to happen when i haven't replentished the bedding in more than a day. anyone else have this problem? anyone have any solutions to it?

thanks.

Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag. Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry. I sometimes do have broken eggs the cause is more often then not just because of an occasional soft shelled egg.

now that is a good idea. plenty of feed bags lying around, might as well use a few of them. i will give this a try.

Back
Top Bottom