Keeping Canada Geese

Quote:
Huh. Move to NJ. That'll cure you
tongue.png

There are LOTS of things more beautiful than every square meter of grass within 500 yards of any body of water eaten down to nubbins and covered in vast amounts of poo from The Geese That Wouldn't Leave.

Seriously
wink.png

Pat

I don't need to go to NJ.
lau.gif

I just go to my back yard and watch my geese and ducks.

I do believe she doesn't realize you are involved in a waterfowl rescue, Terrie. LOL

-Kim

Quote:
You can have all the ones that land in my fields. 2 small lakes with a wide grass landing strip in between. Goose heaven.

Come the end of spring I hardly have any grass left for the cattle to graze.
barnie.gif
At least they leave some fertilizer behind and drill the soil some.

As for keeping them, if they like it they will stay. Feeding may or may not help. Good luck!

There are LOTS of things more beautiful than every square meter of grass within 500 yards of any body of water eaten down to nubbins and covered in vast amounts of poo from The Geese That Wouldn't Leave.

This is a great thing when you only mow your lawn once a month to save on gas.​

Terrie - are you really involved in waterfowl rescue? If so, I have nothing but admiration for you!!!

I was fortunate enough to help a severely wounded Canada Goose earlier this year and was so honored to be able to. It had been shot in the wing
sad.png
I took it to a vet and she amputated the tip of the wing and the goose is now living at a rehab facility.

...and I agree with you 100% about nothing more beautiful than a flock of Canada Geese in formation. I get goosebumps and tears in my eyes every time I see them...and say a prayer for them. They are truly incredible, noble creatures.

Quote:
Just look in her signature. She has a link there to the waterfowl rescue.

-Kim

I have one Canada goose that was orphaned or lost, I've been raising it since it was a wee baby. It's very tame. I think I'll need to clip its wings in the fall to keep it from flying away, it won't know what to do. It's already doing a little flight exprimentation in my back yard.

It loves people, it's really a dear, sweet thing.

Mini Coop your goose won't leave this year...it will want to stay with you for at least another year...they only leave the second year...so you better have a shed to put it in if you get cold weather:>) You are currently it's "flock" It will fly and come back...don't clip it's wings...that makes it prey to dogs and wildlife. My freind just raised an orphaned goose and it was in it's second year with her...it would have found a mate and left this fall but a dog got it.

Quote:
Huh. Move to NJ. That'll cure you
tongue.png

Seriously
wink.png

Pat

SillyGooseIcon.gif

Back
Top Bottom