Keeping chickens away from the end of our driveway

Sunnybrueck

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 26, 2014
I'm brand new to BYC and chicken keeping, so any advice will be welcome. Our chickens are free range on several fenced acres. The whole yard is fenced with a 5ft fence except for the end of our drive. Every morning around the same time a couple of our chickens try to go outside the fence and into the road. I can usually keep an eye on them and chase them away from the drive, but it is kind of a pain. Is there any way to train them to just stay away?

I'm brand new to BYC and chicken keeping, so any advice will be welcome. Our chickens are free range on several fenced acres. The whole yard is fenced with a 5ft fence except for the end of our drive. Every morning around the same time a couple of our chickens try to go outside the fence and into the road. I can usually keep an eye on them and chase them away from the drive, but it is kind of a pain. Is there any way to train them to just stay away?

In a word, no. We put up a driveway gate to do that. Good thing, too, since the elderly woman across from us built a coop directly across from out driveway and lets her two pullets go wherever they like, so they like our driveway. They probably hear all my birds and roosters and are drawn to the group. You'll need to put up a gate of some kind like this one:

Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom