Keeping Chickens Cool In a Heat Wave

Hi there. Where you are doesn't really matter, it's all about what you're used to. When it's hot, it's hot.

I'm in Phoenix. I use kiddie pools that I've cut down to shallow saucers and put water in those for wading. Then in the afternoons I put a 10 pound block of ice in an empty pool. As it melts the girls can stand in the cool water or sip. @aart gave me that idea and of all the things I've tried, it works the best in our extreme heat. Deep shade is important. Also, my flock enjoys laying in cool, damp soil so I wet down a corner of the yard each morning and in the afternoon that's typically where I find them if they're not wading. Plus, chicks love to play King of the Mountain on the ice blocks 🤭

Water bottles make great reusable ice cubes. I have a five gallon waterer and just drop them in each afternoon. Wash, freeze, repeat.

I will caution against the use of misters. They are ok for short term, once in a while use, but the birds will want to lay in the damp soil and breathing all that moisture can be a problem.

Good luck!

Where you are doesn't really matter, it's all about what you're used to. When it's hot, it's hot.
Indeed! it's all relative.

Also, my flock enjoys laying in cool, damp soil so I wet down a corner of the yard each morning and in the afternoon that's typically where I find them if they're not wading.
I also freeze smaller blocks(5x3x2) of ice and just lay them on the ground in the shade,
popular place later in the day.

Indeed! it's all relative.

I also freeze smaller blocks(5x3x2) of ice and just lay them on the ground in the shade,
popular place later in the day.
Oh for sure! I have chicks right now and they brave the bigs for those coveted areas.

The reason I started the smaller blocks is the flock is keeping the 14wo group away from the main ice pans...finally had to segregate the groups to give the juniors a break.
Of course they are! 🤭 They can be so mean sometimes.

I've lost 3 birds to heat this year and one to a respiratory thing. The 3 girls that are left have no inclination to chase chicks in the heat though. They just look at them with disdain and ignore them.

Of course they are! 🤭 They can be so mean sometimes.
The juniors, 3 males 1 female, are so intimidated the older birds don't really need to chase them. I need to get rid of these males, the lone female may be miserable so may keep one male see how that works out. Chicken Juggling!

Usually I would put ice cubes in their water and they love pecking it or I get shaved ice with no flavor and let them have some. Another thing is that I freeze corn in water and let them eat it. I also freeze watermelon slices and let them eat off of that and they cool down very quickly.

I'm a very new chicken keeper, but we're looking at 102-110 temps for the next 4 or 5 days, so I feel your pain. My chickens are almost 8 weeks old and have done ok in the heat so far (mid 90s to low 100s since they went outside at 4 weeks). I have misters that I turn on periodically (inexpensive at Home Depot and they attach to my hose). Because the join isn't perfect, the hose leaks water when the misters are on, so I just angle that into a shady spot in their run. They enjoy walking in the pooling water. I also give them frozen watermelon and add water to their feed to make a mash in the evenings. I just put a fan out today to help keep the air moving. It's a learning process, but we just do the best we can for our friends!

Good luck!
We live in Southwest Missouri where later summer is hot and usually very dry. We also use a mister. We put a frozen water bottle without the top turned upside down in the waterer. As the ice thaws the water stays full and cool. We also got these great battery powered fans that we hang in their run and coop to keep air moving. Their coop and run are in a shady grove of trees so it’s a nice spot for the ladies.

Back
Top Bottom