Keeping Chickens Cool

That doesn't even take into consideration the cost of electricity to run the AC unit.
Most portable AC units in the $200 range are about 10k BTU, that would make it about 1,000 watts. That would cost about 11 cents an hour to run. If you were to use it six months out of the year, the electric bill would be about $500 a year.
Those are some expensive silkies.

I have 6 housing units. One has less than desirable amount of ventilation so I run a box fan blowing in the window at the roost in summer and winter.
OUCH! That's a whole new twist to "Chicken Math!" We'll just add that number on to the cost of all those "free eggs" our friends and family think we're getting! :D

That doesn't even take into consideration the cost of electricity to run the AC unit.
Most portable AC units in the $200 range are about 10k BTU, that would make it about 1,000 watts. That would cost about 11 cents an hour to run. If you were to use it six months out of the year, the electric bill would be about $500 a year.
Those are some expensive silkies.

I have 6 housing units. One has less than desirable amount of ventilation so I run a box fan blowing in the window at the roost in summer and winter.

That's cool. I say, "whatever floats your boat". They're your birds and your money.
I just brought it up because many people don't consider the ongoing cost of electricity when they make a decision like that. Same holds true for those who heat their coops in winter.
Unless one keeps their chickens in the climate controlled environment 24/7, the chickens are better off without heat.

Back
Top Bottom