Keeping Chickens Free Range

You can search the thread for ways to stop them being broody, but I'd hate to do that. I wouldn't even try. It seems cruel to me. I don't "need" a certain number of eggs each day.
I put ceramic eggs in the nesting boxes to give them the idea. Some people use golf balls. It works very well to encourage them to lay in the boxes.

You can search the thread for ways to stop them being broody, but I'd hate to do that. I wouldn't even try. It seems cruel to me. I don't "need" a certain number of eggs each day.

I have two broody bantams that have been sitting on nothing for months now. I've thought often of trying to break them but was under the assumption that they would eventually break themselves. Well that hasn't happened and I think it's taking a toll on their health. Twice a day I shoo them off the nest to encourage them to eat and drink. I separate them and offer them a higher protein feed but they are rather thin. They no longer forage. I'm worried that with temperatures getting higher they will dehydrate because they only drink twice a day. I think it's at the point where it's more cruel to let the broodiness continue. It's not about getting eggs from them, it's about wanting to keep them healthy.

I certainly agree with you. That's a different story.
My tiny Americana sat for two 45 days even after I took the eggs away because they were clearly not viable. She finally snapped out of it herself but now she has a secret stash of eggs. I'll let her think they are secret and she will likely go broody again. She deserves another try.

It was a worry though. Brooding takes a lot out of the bird. It was suggested to me that I put day old chicks under the broody to break her.

I agree about the hen being broody for too long. I had a cochin hen that was broody for about a month and a half. I put some eggs under her early on, but they did not hatch, so I took them away and locked her out of the nesting box. She was very thin from brooding the eggs, and she still tries to sit on eggs that others have laid. She does get up and go out several times a day though and is putting weight back on. I don't think it's good to just let them stay broody. It's bad for their health.

I put ceramic eggs in the nesting boxes to give them the idea. Some people use golf balls. It works very well to encourage them to lay in the boxes.
yeah it does but I have an issue I can see before they start laying gonna have to figure out how to fix now , before they actually get old enough to lay eggs. My friend put them in the coop for them to play with lol.

2 broody hens want all the golf balls in their nests so they steal from the other
1 drake that doesn't think there should be more than 2 in the nest so shoves anything more than that out of the ducks nest

I agree about the hen being broody for too long. I had a cochin hen that was broody for about a month and a half. I put some eggs under her early on, but they did not hatch, so I took them away and locked her out of the nesting box. She was very thin from brooding the eggs, and she still tries to sit on eggs that others have laid. She does get up and go out several times a day though and is putting weight back on. I don't think it's good to just let them stay broody. It's bad for their health.
no it is not good for them to be broody for extended periods , the rest of the flock or your sanity. Would be better to order in day old chicks unless you have a breeder locally, and slip them in with them at night when you will be able to be there to protect them if needed when she wakes up. She will either accept them and continue caring and raising the foster chicks or she will try to hurt them and run them off but should start eating and taking care of herself.

or you can try taking all the bedding and stuff out of the nest and blocking access to it

Thanks Slordaz. She's still trying to sit on the nest and eggs, but she's going out and eating and drinking too. So, I lock her out once the other hens have laid their eggs and she doesn't act like that bothers her too much. I also pull her off the nest in the morning if she doesn't come out on her own. She does, most of the time now.

Johann, Betty, and the baby got spooked earlier and took off into the field. Johann came back but as yet Betty and the baby are still gone. My cousin told me not to worry that she's probably just hunkered down and will come back by bed time at least. Anyone with experience with this?

Back
Top Bottom