Keeping Chickens Free Range

So sorry it is always such blow when you have given these creatures so much care and in return they provide you with eggs. I would make sure that you make the coop predator proof if he starts again.

Coyotes are smart and bold, once they find you they will clean you out, day or night, when ever it's convenient, it's all a gamble, I was gotten one year, took 13 birds before my husband got a shot at it, haven't seen it since, just hope every year I don't get found again, don't underestimate the coyotes.

Crazy thing is there are 2 other people with 20-30 birds each butted up against his property and not one of them was touched. He went there hoping some of his made it to their flock to find refuge. No luck. Nobody came back at bedtime either.

Thinking a pack of coyotes came and got most of my brother's flock today. Feathers are everywhere, only 2 chickens can be found. They found the body of one but no one else yet. Managed to get the youngest in the coop but the other one is holed up under the porch and refuses to come out. My sis in law is home with my nephew and can't be out in the heat to go searching and my brother hasn't gotten home from work yet. I'm hoping some got away and are holed up in the trees.

I am so sorry for your brother's loss of his flock katatonic.
th.gif

Thanks. He is really torn up about it. My little nephew doesn't quite grasp it yet but was asking about each one by name after they told him. My sis in law is devastated because it happened on her watch. Just awful all around.

Bummer! I hate losing single birds, I lost a couple on one day and was devastated. Losing the whole bunch would kill me. My condolences.

Here is my youngun's lazing about the barnyard..

I worry about predators, but refuse to stop free ranging. A bird deserves a free life with all it's dangers.

Our 6 girls, we've been free ranging for weeks now and they've done well but now that we are getting closer to them laying do you still keep the nest boxes in the coop or do you have another method, my husband is concerned they will be laying under the nice giant tree they stay under most of the day. I need some ideas

We have thirty leghorn hens and two road island red rooster. We ordered our leghorns from a hatchery and as soon as they were big enough we let them free range during the day and put them up at night (To avoid predators). Our two roos we bought from a wonderful lady in Georgetown Ky and this two days ago when we brought them home was their first time free ranging EVER and they absolutely loved it they were near impossible to get up that night lol
lol.png

All in all though our entire flock loves being able to pick in the grass and chase after bugs during the day on our farm, I recommend to anyone who has the room to do this they should the chickens love it and we as owners love it to
smile.png

Our 6 girls, we've been free ranging for weeks now and they've done well but now that we are getting closer to them laying do you still keep the nest boxes in the coop or do you have another method, my husband is concerned they will be laying under the nice giant tree they stay under most of the day. I need some ideas
I let my young girls free range, but when they start squatting, and singing the egg song, I lock the entire flock in the run until they get the hang of putting their eggs in the nest boxes. This year may be a lot different, since I have a LOT of new layers, and need to come up with some new boxes SOON!

Back
Top Bottom