Keeping Chickens Free Range

Thinking a pack of coyotes came and got most of my brother's flock today. Feathers are everywhere, only 2 chickens can be found. They found the body of one but no one else yet. Managed to get the youngest in the coop but the other one is holed up under the porch and refuses to come out. My sis in law is home with my nephew and can't be out in the heat to go searching and my brother hasn't gotten home from work yet. I'm hoping some got away and are holed up in the trees.

Found the bodies of 3, a huge pile of feathers for 2, a smaller pile of feathers for 2, 3 are gone without a trace, and he did get the one under the porch back in the coop so 2 are locked up tight.

In less than a week he's gone from 7 to 12 to 2. He's honestly thinking about giving me the 2 he has left and giving up on it all together.

In less than a week he's gone from 7 to 12 to 2. He's honestly thinking about giving me the 2 he has left and giving up on it all together.

Coyote's suck, no doubt about it. I was wiped out of all my mature layers overnight once night, left with 3 chicks that were in a dog crate brooder. I've since ordered12 more and am starting over. I had them get picked off one here and there over my first year but the whole flock at once is a blow. I've since got my electric fence working again and no longer fear coyote's. Tell him to not give up!

Thinking a pack of coyotes came and got most of my brother's flock today. Feathers are everywhere, only 2 chickens can be found. They found the body of one but no one else yet. Managed to get the youngest in the coop but the other one is holed up under the porch and refuses to come out. My sis in law is home with my nephew and can't be out in the heat to go searching and my brother hasn't gotten home from work yet. I'm hoping some got away and are holed up in the trees.

With coyotes would you even have found a body? Don't they carry everything off? So many different predators.......

Back
Top Bottom