keeping chickens out of new garden

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazy4chickns, Apr 15, 2009.

1. crazy4chickns

crazy4chickns New Egg

Sep 24, 2008
    Does anyone know how to keep my chickens out of my garden till it is alot bigger with out fencing it in?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Without fencing the garden? Build a coop. You will not keep them out of it. They will eat it all in a matter of days.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

They'll destroy it when it's bigger, too [​IMG] You don't need predator proof fencing, some of that plastic netting would probably do it.

4. Shannonwbl

Shannonwbl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I am with crazy - I thought that once the garden was bigger you WANT them in it to get the bugs. Mine ate all of my squash seeds yesterday!

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    They'll eat anything that they perceive to be edible. Keep them out of the garden.

We just penned 1/2 of our yard to create a NCZ (no chicken zone). No chickens where humans eat, grow food, park, "roost", or use tools. It's soooooo much nicer. Last night I was able to eat my dinner without winding up with a chicken on my plate. Of course, they don't LIKE this new NCZ but we do.

6. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I guess we were different. When I was growin gup we alrays let the chickens in the garden, after it got big. They never ate anything but bugs. Maybe a few strawbarries. [​IMG]

We always had a thinck layer of mulch, mayeb that helped keep them from scratching and hurting the roots. But I dont want anyones garden ruined because I said that.... [​IMG]

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Mine don't each much in the garden, just one bite from each tomato that they can reach. [​IMG]

8. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    would advise in fencing it up...lol... chickens like fresh veggies

9. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] I was afraid of this, so we made sure the run was ready ahead of time. We love our chicks already, but we aren't giving them the whole garden. Will be happy to SHARE the food with them, just not one bite of each thing! [​IMG]

10. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I came up with a pretty nifty solution to keep my chickens from destroying my newly planted herb bed. The bed is a long rectangle about 2 feet wide and the length of most of my house. I cut off lengths if 4in x 2in welded wire from a leftover roll and poked the ends into the ground parallel to the bed. The wire was already pre-disposed to curving due to it coming from a roll. I overlapped the ends of each section just a little to create a long tunnel over the bed.

Now I have a long upside-down 'U' shape tunnel of wire over the bed. The chickens can't get in, but I can stick my hands through to harvest herbs and the plants can grow up through the wire.

So far it is working perfectly so I think I will use this method on some of my other garden beds.

Another option is to go to TSC and get the garden electric fence kit. It has a charger, stakes, and wire to put up an electric barrier around your garden to keep out rabbits, dogs, and maybe even chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by