I put bits of wire and flappy plastic up for now.
That should help...floppy chicken wire 'fence extender'.,
loosely attached to stakes shoved int he chainlink.
Or run a couple wires along top of fence, 3 and 6" high, so they can't land on top rail of chainlink.

What do you have over that farm gate?
My birds are more likely to go under the dog fence, so if you have several inches under a section of the chain link, fill that in with something. I put some 4x4" beams at my low spots, and it's helped a lot. The gap between your fence and chainlink gate isn't helpful either.
That's a very short fence! Consider attaching poles and higher wire, maybe even cheap chicken wire, to make the thing taller and discourage birds sitting on the top of the fence.
Then, there's electric poultry fencing for outside your dog fence.
My dogs love chicken too, and keeping them apart is necessary here also.
Mary
Terrific ideas Mary! I'm going to cut some wire to help with the gate gap at the small gate. I was wondering if maybe some got in that way, but I've SEEN them hop over so I didn't worry too much about the low gap if that makes sense.
My dog doesn't really care to escape, so that's why it's so insecure. He really doesn't want to leave lol. The rest of the fence is actually in the ground. We had a lab before who dug. There is a small gap underneath the farm gate... I wonder if that could be an issue. A 4*4 wouldn't let it open though... And we need it to get the tractor to cut the grass in and out. Maybe more wire?? I'll have to see how they set it up.

I have nothing over the farm gate right now. I was thinking I could extend the poles upward and put some chicken wire up maybe? But I'm not sure how that would affect the large farm gate opening and closing. It'll definitely work for the rest of it though!

And it is short!? Really?? I'm only 4'11 so I guess it seems tall to me lol.

Or run a couple wires along top of fence, 3 and 6" high, so they can't land on top rail of chainlink.

This is kinda what I was thinking ... There is a short section elsewhere they could easily get over but they don't because it's all floppy and covered in vines that flap around.

A plus for this option is that it's cheap and I can do it tomorrow instead of having to save for it

I did something similar many years ago but now my pens are covered. I used some small diameter rope. They couldn't get on it and keep their balance.

Hmm good to know! And these won't cost an arm and a leg, so they won't set back the building of the new coop which is good. Eventually I may go to enclosed runs, but for now, they've got the run of my (and my neighbor's) back yards.

Well! I clipped the wings of my worst fliers and that's worked while we're getting the fence fixed up to be more effective.
While I'd love to get Freckles out of the habit, he's a high prey drive dog who's part terrier and part fox hound. He's also a rescue that hunted for food for the first three years of his life. (He's 6) We've tried, but without one of us home all day, it doesn't help. That's not something we can really do. He's also killed kittens and possums so... not just chickens.

Back
Top Bottom