alexisrambles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Louisiana
So it's official.... My dog is a chicken killer.

I've managed to save his victims this far but it's NOT through lack of effort on his part.
20191014_141521.jpg

So here is my problem. This yard has two gates into it. Their entry point is only about 10 yds long. I need to keep them OUT of the dogs yard ... And they don't seem to really want to do that despite the half an acre of land in the OTHER direction.

Help!! How can I keep them out!? Low tech options preferred but I'll try about anything. The thing is that the gates have to remain operational! One is a big livestock gate and the other is a small gate. The fence is about 4'6". Regular chain link.

That's where they are getting in. Apparently part of the fencing has sunk a little and doesn't have the spiky bits poking over the pipe. I put bits of wire and flappy plastic up for now. Hopefully it'll keep them from hopping up until I can fix it more permanantly.

What do you have over that farm gate?
My birds are more likely to go under the dog fence, so if you have several inches under a section of the chain link, fill that in with something. I put some 4x4" beams at my low spots, and it's helped a lot. The gap between your fence and chainlink gate isn't helpful either.
That's a very short fence! Consider attaching poles and higher wire, maybe even cheap chicken wire, to make the thing taller and discourage birds sitting on the top of the fence.
Then, there's electric poultry fencing for outside your dog fence.
My dogs love chicken too, and keeping them apart is necessary here also.
Mary

Clip one wing which usually gets them off balance. Make sure you clip enough but not too much. Sometimes even though their wing is clipped they can figure out how to somewhat fly.
I'll have to try that. I have a friend whose birds could fly with their wings clipped. That's why I'm worried. :/

Back
Top Bottom