Keeping Chickens When You Have Arthritis.

Pics
Trust me @shamohybrid, it's never too late to try to get things under control.

Do you take any omega oils or flax seed oil? They are natural anti inflammatory supplements. My rheumy also has me taking Egg Shell Membrane. It is a high potency glucosamine made from, ya, the shell membrane of chicken eggs. I asked him if I couldn't just chew on egg membrane from my own chicken eggs and got told no, take the pills. They are easier to get down.

Also stay active. That is what this thread is all about. Not giving up when it comes to living with pain but wanting to take care of our chickens in spite of the pain and inconvenience of living with arthritis in what ever form it occurs.

I was diagnosed with a type of rheumatoid arthritis in the middle of my spine a bit over a year ago. I was in such pain, especially at night, that I'd end up crying! Last summer I started immune suppression treatments every other month. This has restored my ability to take care of my garden, house and property! (I live with a hound on 7 acres in the mountains of western NC.) I do have to be careful about staying well, avoiding anyone who is sick, fleeing coughers. Fortunately, my job does limit my exposure to germs.
My first chicks arrive in May and I'm really looking forward to raising my flock!

I was diagnosed with a type of rheumatoid arthritis in the middle of my spine a bit over a year ago. I was in such pain, especially at night, that I'd end up crying! Last summer I started immune suppression treatments every other month. This has restored my ability to take care of my garden, house and property! (I live with a hound on 7 acres in the mountains of western NC.) I do have to be careful about staying well, avoiding anyone who is sick, fleeing coughers. Fortunately, my job does limit my exposure to germs.
My first chicks arrive in May and I'm really looking forward to raising my flock!
Welcome!

I'm on the same boat. I have to give myself shots of Methotrexate once a week. I also have to wear masks in public places like grocery stores and the like. I hate it but it has helped me.

Do you carry around a bottle of hand sanitizer like I do?

Welcome! I too have RA. So far I'm doing pretty good. I'm on Orencia injections once a week. Went through methotrexate, Humira at ever decreasing intervals and Cimzia before getting Orencia. It's been a year that I've been on it and so far it's still working.

Welcome!

I'm on the same boat. I have to give myself shots of Methotrexate once a week. I also have to wear masks in public places like grocery stores and the like. I hate it but it has helped me.

Do you carry around a bottle of hand sanitizer like I do?

Yep, hand sanitizer always in my purse. Also always good handwashing after tending to the chickens.
I live in the city and have 4 backyard chickens, all bantams. 3 of them have finally started laying! Still waiting for the last one to start.

Welcome to the thread @HopeSprings mine is plain old arthritis but has been handed down in the family too many car wrecks too many dogs jamming into walls I have a spinal column closing in my neck that does not help .. Graves that took most my vision handed down by an aunt but sheer determinations being german I am stubborn
day to day the dogs and chickens keep me busy

Welcome to the thread @HopeSprings mine is plain old arthritis but has been handed down in the family too many car wrecks too many dogs jamming into walls I have a spinal column closing in my neck that does not help .. Graves that took most my vision handed down by an aunt but sheer determinations being german I am stubborn
day to day the dogs and chickens keep me busy
Mostly German here, too! Don't tell me I can't! Also some Scots, so constantly pinching pennies!

Dad was German/Pennsylvania Dutch mom was Irish and Cherokee kinda an explosive combination genetically. Mom had osteo really bad. Dad had anklyosing spondylitis, I have both.

Mom also had gout which I also have and which is genetic in nature.

I had rheumatic fever with rheumatic arthritis when I was 23 so they figure I also have a serum negative RA.

So I deal with a lot of pain at times...like this morning. Knew I would be sore after crawling around on my hands and knees all afternoon but when I got up at 3am to make a bathroom run my knees were brutal. I'll be glad to get the flower beds raked and the digging work done for spring. I may have to consider getting a one of those little gardening stools to sit on while I work.

Good luck and have fun with your chicks. I just hatched my first batch of chicks for this year. I have more eggs in the incubator. I too have a lot of aches and pains. My joints are shot I have been using lidocaine and veterinary liniment. It helps. My knees are shot but I rub them in too and it does seem to help. I have been selling a few birds at a time. I'm not hatching as many as I have in past years. So much for the golden years... As I get up in years now and friends have been passing away, it makes me think. Hubby is almost 80 and I'm in my 70's, so how much longer do we have, so I'm downsizing.

going to do some repair on the silky tractor so they can be out my tunnel idea would need larger do not find any over 6 inches I have one girl taller than that even bending her head

Back
Top Bottom