Keeping Chickens When You Have Arthritis.

Pics
Dad was German/Pennsylvania Dutch mom was Irish and Cherokee kinda an explosive combination genetically. Mom had osteo really bad. Dad had anklyosing spondylitis, I have both.

Mom also had gout which I also have and which is genetic in nature.

I had rheumatic fever with rheumatic arthritis when I was 23 so they figure I also have a serum negative RA.

So I deal with a lot of pain at times...like this morning. Knew I would be sore after crawling around on my hands and knees all afternoon but when I got up at 3am to make a bathroom run my knees were brutal. I'll be glad to get the flower beds raked and the digging work done for spring. I may have to consider getting a one of those little gardening stools to sit on while I work.
I have A. S., too. I've been getting infusions of simponi aria every 2 months since last summer. It's a bit scary to suppress the immune system, but otherwise I'd be useless a lot the time! (And not a happy camper!)
I have planted 4 20' rows of potatoes, plus 2 of peas and one each of carrots and beets so far. I try not to do too much all at once, especially early in the planting season.

I am fortunate I do not have RA I do not get much immune system here cancer in 85
Grave"s in 2010 attacked took most my sight still stubborn want to live life as long as I can when I cannot let go in my sleep God

I have A. S., too. I've been getting infusions of simponi aria every 2 months since last summer. It's a bit scary to suppress the immune system, but otherwise I'd be useless a lot the time! (And not a happy camper!)
I have planted 4 20' rows of potatoes, plus 2 of peas and one each of carrots and beets so far. I try not to do too much all at once, especially early in the planting season.

I'm having a hard time with accepting my AS. I go through life with my head down and my heels dug in, unwilling to slow down. DH commented the other day that I have too many projects, but I firmly believe that having a lot of projects keeps me motiveated to MOVE!

@cmom athough I have to admit that I do need to downsize and I'm trying to do that before next winter. It's a hard decision to make but this past winter was a rough one. Time to think about my own comfort a bit.

I have Graves too. You must have problems with your thyroid. I am also a cancer survivor. Hubby has Parkinson's. We are both diabetic among other issues that go along with old age but we do the best we can. We both still try to be as active as we can. Our gardens are planted and we are now starting to harvest some of the bounty. I have been harvesting lettuce, broccoli, radishes, spinach, onions and now some peas. Most of these can tolerate some frost. Potatoes are doing nicely. I love to take pictures. This picture was taken about a month ago. We now have other things coming up in the other garden beds.
IMG_20190302_105038.jpg

Yes had to nuke the thyroid almost 6 years ago I have osteo arthritis Graves took most my vision but it was the 500mg predisone for 12 weeks that killed my bone density

Welcome!

I'm on the same boat. I have to give myself shots of Methotrexate once a week. I also have to wear masks in public places like grocery stores and the like. I hate it but it has helped me.

Do you carry around a bottle of hand sanitizer like I do?
I do keep sanitizer handy, but don't wear a mask. (Tho a woman with a bad cold came into the shop where I work and a took off for the basement until she left!)
The Simponi is every 8 weeks. It's very expensive, but the drug company picks up what insurance doesn't cover!

I have Graves too. You must have problems with your thyroid. I am also a cancer survivor. Hubby has Parkinson's. We are both diabetic among other issues that go along with old age but we do the best we can. We both still try to be as active as we can. Our gardens are planted and we are now starting to harvest some of the bounty. I have been harvesting lettuce, broccoli, radishes, spinach, onions and now some peas. Most of these can tolerate some frost. Potatoes are doing nicely. I love to take pictures. This picture was taken about a month ago. We now have other things coming up in the other garden beds.
View attachment 1718515
I just planted 3 20' rows of onions this afternoon. Potatoes, peas, carrots and beets are all in! Broccoli, kale, cabbage, chard and lettuce plants are waiting for the freezing temps to depart!

Still waiting to plant anything here. Still too cold and getting down to freezing some nights yet.
3 of my little bantams finally started laying a week or so ago. 2 EEs are laying green eggs, and my cochin's tan. Hoping the last EE gives me a different color.

@ Microchick Having RA was and still is difficult to accept. Nobody in my family has any chronic diseases. It totally came out of the blue.

I had to give up the job I loved. I'm a pediatric nurse. When my rheumatologist said no more direct patient care, I was devastated. I went to phone triage, but my hands can't type 8 hours a day. So early retirement.

I try to take it day by day, enjoy the good days. I push myself too much a lot, don't want RA to beat me I guess. Like today, we were driving home from a vacation at my brother's house in Texas. It was a bad day, hands felt like needles sticking in them, but I still did my share of driving. I probably should have just told my husband but too stubborn I guess.

Back
Top Bottom