Keeping Cornish cross for full life.

I've done it. Combination of free ranging with the rest of the flock and feed restriction (I feed once daily, in the evenings). Was over a year in age when I culled her, around 10# (I'd have to check my culling project for exact weights, the heat of her second summer was really weighing on her). She started laying around the 6-7 mo mark, and only about half her chicks had significant size/fast growth while all had dominant white. None of their offspring had the size/speedy growth, but some continued with the much hated white.

The "breed" hasn't been selected for long life, but with exercise and food controls, together with an accomodating climate, there's a reasonable chance at a handful of years, on average.

Would not be my first, second, third...hundredth choice of breed for a pet chicken, but it can be done.

Is the last one a naked neck?
Yep!
Here’s her dad
B52A9387-E2BB-4258-9E75-35F78724C67B.jpeg

Here she is a year older. She and her sister lay big brown eggs.
C08DFDFD-12A9-41E5-8DD4-3B7F69F9B8BA.jpeg
D070BFC9-523D-4F32-A88D-6FF3CDC12063.jpeg

My friend has a batch of Cornish crosses he is going to butcher and I'm considering keeping one hen to see if I can get my rooster on it. Then hatch my own hybrid chicks! I plan on cutting her food back and exercising her so she lives long enough to lay eggs. do yall think this is possible? Will her heart explode? Is it inhumane?

Thanks!
They live long enough to breed if that's what you are worrying about. What breed of rooster do you have?

I started collecting eggs to hatch as soon as they were stable. Their eggs were on the small side, but all the chicks that hatched grew large. I have a 12lbs rooster and 10lbs hens from that hatch. I crossed it with a Breese Rooster and I am happy with the results. I am currently having a problem with the crosses going broody.

Last edited:
My rooster is a hedemora, I don't mind broody hens I actually like them to sit on the eggs and hatch
At least these hens don't bite when I grab them from the nest box. I put them in an isolation cage for a few weeks to break them. The negative side of these jumbo hens are they eat a lot, so food cost is high. The positive side is I am using them to breed 3 month old broilers for frying or roasting.

I’ve done it! It is not inhumane, they enjoy life. She’ll start to lay around a year old and you won’t get very many, but man are they huge!
Here’s my hen! She lived 2 years until sadly something got her.😢View attachment 3228771View attachment 3228772

And they are able to breed! Hers her babiesView attachment 3228780View attachment 3228781View attachment 3228782View attachment 3228783View attachment 3228784
What did you breed with?
Mine are 10weeks, and already been on one slim feeding a day, sometimes 2x. Have 7more to butcher but thinking of keeping one to try for eggs with a leghorn or Cochin

Back
Top Bottom