Keeping digging predators out of a chicken tractor

Got a sketch we can look at?

The dimensions you give will make it very hard to move without a farm tractor.
We do have a tractor. We plan on putting wheels on one end, and then hooking the other end to the tractor, we definitely put thought into that. šŸ‘
I do have a sketch, a sloppy one, but I can get a pic of it in a moment.
For now, this is the same idea- https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...l-poultry-pen-8-ft-x-8-ft-cr0808?cm_vc=-10005
Except we are using fence panels, and cage wire/hardware cloth, and welding it together.
Then in the corner, we are building a coop, or really just a wooden box, that will be off the ground for them to go under, but that will be are the shelter, bedding and roosts are for night time.

We do have a tractor. We plan on putting wheels on one end, and then hooking the other end to the tractor, we definitely put thought into that. šŸ‘
I do have a sketch, a sloppy one, but I can get a pic of it in a moment.
For now, this is the same idea- https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...l-poultry-pen-8-ft-x-8-ft-cr0808?cm_vc=-10005
Except we are using fence panels, and cage wire/hardware cloth, and welding it together.
Then in the corner, we are building a coop, or really just a wooden box, that will be off the ground for them to go under, but that will be are the shelter, bedding and roosts are for night time.

Thanks! That helps visualize.

If you are using cattle panels and plan on 8' wide the arch may be a better option. I think they are stronger in the arch than with a lid like your link has.

As for predators..... You have pretty much every nasty thing there is!
If you make an apron so it lays on top of the ground when "deployed" and pinned down with LONG edging pins then lifted for moving the tractor it can work.

For coyotes, bears and bigger nasties solar hot wire maybe?

Thanks! That helps visualize.

If you are using cattle panels and plan on 8' wide the arch may be a better option. I think they are stronger in the arch than with a lid like your link has.

As for predators..... You have pretty much every nasty thing there is!
If you make an apron so it lays on top of the ground when "deployed" and pinned down with LONG edging pins then lifted for moving the tractor it can work.

For coyotes, bears and bigger nasties solar hot wire maybe?
Awesome, thank you! We found some panels that are 1x3 inches I believe? But at least smaller then 8 inches.
I was thinning abbot pinning the "skirt" as well, thats a good idea, I will for sure look into that. I'll see if we can rid up a solar hot wire system, that would be ideal. If not, we'll just double layer or triple the wire and hope that will be strong enough to keep them out. The local bear, usually goes for our garbage first though! Lol! In this case, I think thats a good thing. ;)

We got the bottom of the coop welded together today! The frame of the coop is being made of steel square tubing, so we welded a square for the bottom, and a smaller square to go on the inside which will hold the makeshift shirt in, (it'll make more sense when I get pics tomorrow.) Now, we weld on the poles that will support the walls, the square for the top, and you have a box! After that, we weld on an A-frame to make 1/3 of the run covered, and weld cage wire, (1x2 inches) to the frame to make the walls.
Then attach wheels for mobility, and your rolling! No pun intended lol!
I'll get pics tomorrow, and use pics to update our progress. Thanks for all the help guys!

I don't have a bottom on mine. I saw some signs of digging one time, but the excavator did not make much progress. Also, I move the tractors daily during the growing season. I know an industrious predator could gain entry in just one night, but so far I have seen nothing approaching that.

I use two protective measures. If the ground is a little uneven, I lay a piece of split firewood in front of it so the gap is not exposed. Nothing has ever moved one of the logs. Probably more importantly, I now use electrified netting. I set that up after about three months after seeing a lot of pictures like these. My main predator is fox. In the first picture below, you can see one of the pieces of wood.

1280-fox.jpg
fox.jpg

I figured that even if they couldn't get in, having foxes jumping up on the roof at night would be pretty stressful. Since setting up the netting, I have seen no signs of anything around the tractors at night.

Got it, thats our hope with the skirt. They aren't going to be able to dig all the way under it in one night, and by then, we will notice it, and be able to do something.

We do have game cams actually. We need to set them up by the coop for sure. Thanks for the info!

Have you thought about putting the skirt on the outside. You can hinge it and raise it for the move. It could be everywhere except under the wheels obviously. Thatā€™s my plan fo my build.

Back
Top Bottom