Keeping ducks drinking water clean......how?

donnavee

Crowing
13 Years
May 7, 2009
Hillsborough NC
I'm wondering if there is a way to keep their drinking water clean, at least for a couple of days while we go out of town. I can keep them in water and food easily but they always muddy up the water even though I have placed it on some concrete blocks. I end up dumping and refilling twice a day just to keep it reasonably clean. Anyone have ideas on a great watering system for them?

At least in my opinion, aside from changing it daily I don't think there is a way. I just gave up after a while and went, "Well, they'll dirty up their water and that's just the way it is." I change it frequently, yes, but between changings if it's dirty, that's just the way it has to be.

If you give them a somewhat deep storage tub or something to drink out of, they'll be just fine for a few days even with the dirty water. Ducks don't seem to be bothered by dirty water.

I wish there was a better way, but alas, there does not seem to be! At least as far as I know.

If you find a way please let me know!!! I thought it was mud to but if you look closely it is mostly food at the bottom of the water. It's never going to stay clean because of how much water they need when they eat. They really don't mind dirty water between cleanings (2 times a day for mine) because its mostly food at the bottom. Less work when it comes to getting it down i suppose
lau.gif

There really isn't a way to keep the water clean other than dumping it over and over. I've tried larger amounts of water, it's dirty but still they can drink it. If absolutely impossible to have someone come and clean it, leave out more waterers for the dirt to be lessened over all in each.

I give them fresh water in the morning and another 5 gallons of fresh water when i get home. The reason its dirty is because they clen their mouths out with the water, so i figured if it was in their mouth before, what harm could it do them now

our local co op carries poultry/game bird waterers, different sizes i think 1 , 3, 5, and 7 gallon capacity. the 7 gallon is good for 7 full grown pekins for 3 days, 5 thriving pekin ducklings for 4 days. the waterer is gravity/vacume controled and works out perfect for us. they are somewhat large, so you'll have to get the dimensions to see if one will work for you. i built my brooder boxes big so even the 7 gallon fits right in. enjoy your ducks and i hope this helps.

It's just the nature of how they eat. The only way I could think of is with that nipple waterer and that just doesn't seem natural to me.

Back
Top Bottom