Keeping ducks drinking water clean......how?

We use a freindly neighbor to change ours, let them out in the am and put them back in at night with fresh food and water again. They don't mind doing it for us and we only ask when we really need someone. Plus we give them free eggs! This helps!! We are stuck unless we can get a duck babysitter!

Other wise there is no way to keep the water clean, now you could keep them from pooping in it by raising it so they can't get in but can drink and like someone suggested having a deep water container so the don't run out in the two days. I haven't done any of these things yet but I have pondered over it quite a lot as well as looked into the auto waterers. I got some of those nipples at the co-op but now I read somehwere that when ducks use them it wears their bills down!? Now I don't want to use them.

Well, I wouldn't use a nipple waterer, they need to clean their nostrils out when they eat. I like the idea of some sort of running water system, but really they will be fine if their water isn't changed for a couple of days. I'd be sure they have more than one source, so that there would be plenty of water, but I'm sure it won't hurt them for 2 - 3 days. I usually dump and rinse out my water buckets every day, but sometimes they go 2 - 3 days and the water is icky, but the ducks don't care. The main thing is quantity and safety. Maybe you could find a neighbor to dump and fill them daily and to feed and check up on them? That would be enough to make me comfortable.

I had the same question so I'm thinking about installing a 1 1/2qt water fount. I have 1 WH duck and 1 Mallard and I know they need a large enough container to get their beaks past their nostrils wet and my galvenized poultry waterer just isn't large enough for them to get their beaks fully submersed. I would like to be able to leave for a couple of days and know that they are getting fresh water. Product Description: The weight of water in bowl lowers bowl, closes valve. Poultry / pet drink from bowl, bowl gets lighter, rises and opens valve until its full weight lowers it again and closes the valve again. Easily installed. You can pipe it in with PVC and run an upside down "J" of PVC along a fence post. Fount screws onto this "J". Or you can mount it your way and feed with a garden hose.

I am ready to get something set up also . I am raising 4 Pilgrim Geese and 10 WH Ducks, I put out (2) of the large Vacuum waterers from Tractor Supply and change and refill in the Am and PM. If the waterer is set on the wire grate over a tub they go through less. I was torn between the Little Giant drink cups and a horse type auto waterer. I think I am going to try and Auto waterer(horse type) and put the wire covered panel under it to discourage the nibbling at the water base (had problem with sand in waterer before). It should not be too hard. I think I will try a temp one run with drinking water approved hose before I do the whole set up for Geese , Ducks, and Chickens.

Does anybody know if nipple waterers work with ducks?
Anyone keep ducks and chickens? The ducks dirty up the water too quickly. I may try securing some waterers higher up where the chickens can get to them, but the ducks cant. Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Tnx!

Back
Top Bottom