Keeping ducks in the house - A big mistake or un-rational fear?

Hi,

I'm trying to convince my mom to let me take my two Welsh Harelquinn ducks, Millicent and Mildred, inside the house with me for winter but she is concerned they will be messy and smelly. I read on the internet that if they wear diapers and you change them every four hours there is hardly any smell and they can stay very clean, but she is not convinced. So I ask for your help - is there anyone out there that can put her concerns to ease or is her gut feeling right and I am the one who should be wary? I wanted to ask all you duck lovers what you think. I love my two babies and I would love to have them with me in the house. So please, enlighten us.
It rests in your hands entirely. Think about it. Are you someone who keeps things cleaned up, picked up and tidy, at least some things (the ones that matter most to you)? I found I had loads of work to keep the house smelling good with the ducks inside, but I did it.

To the OP... You say YOU want your duckies inside over winter...but do the ducks want to be cooped up wearing a nappy? Yes it may be cold outside- but ducks have been surviving extreme conditions for hundreds of years since domestication. Maybe you could consider housing them inside each night rather than 24 hours a day. you might find a compromise like that may be easier to sell to your mother.

For what it's worth, I keep our ducks in a walkout basement pen near the back door. I put shavings down and at first the pen walls were puppy pens. I have now made a basic frame with plastic poultry fence attached. I have a watering station so the floor does not get wet. It is kept clean so there are no unpleasant odors. It works well for us, and I sleep well at night, less worried about predators and subfreezing conditions.

Hi everyone!

Thank you soo much for all your good advice and your quick replys! After reading what everyone posted, I feel much better about leaving them outside for the winter. And I agree, they will be much happier outdoors and so will my mom =) This will be the ducks and I first winter together and I am very excited! I can't wait to see what they think of snow!

Thanks again everyone for all the help and advice!

There is NO way I'd keep ducks in my house! With how messy ducks are it'd look like something off that Hoarders show in a few weeks.

It's hard enough to keep the house clean with an 80lb lab roaming around all day!

I just had four in the back of my truck for transport to sell at auction and in only ten minutes they **** everywhere. No to indoors for me. (By the way I got $7:50 each for them)

I do know people who have "House ducks", however, these ducks have never really "lived" outside. They only go out to "play." If your ducks are used to being outside, they will probably be unhappy living indoors all winter. My ducks are outside playing in the rain as we speak while my chickens are all huddled in the coop. My ducks seem to be more tolerant of cool, wet, weather. I DO have duck diapers though and they are allowed to come in the house to play with the kids, and thy take them to schools and suck for educational events. Duck diapers 24/7 is not something I would want to deal with.

No way in HECK would I want the ducks inside. I'll bring birds in once in awhile for toenail clippings and the like, ONE AT A TIME, and the mess from one bird is awful. We have a single silkie in a cage in the house, and the cage is always disgusting. We're constantly changing it, because the stink of poultry crap is awful in your home. I make candles and soap, and always have candles going to try to help combat the stench of chicken poop, along with the daily changing of papers. I get fed up changing papers every day, and that's with just one immature silkie. Ducks? My ducks are irritating OUTSIDE, making their messes, so bringing one inside? No way. I didn't even brood them in the house because they're that messy and that much of a PITA.

Just to even the balance of opinion, my ducks have a room in the basement. I tidy up daily (takes 15 minutes), manage the water appropriately, and there is no unpleasant smell. Mostly the aroma of pine shavings. They spend much of the day outdoors in their secure pen, and come in at night. Where we live, night lasts more than twelve hours during some parts of the year.

Just to even the balance of opinion, my ducks have a room in the basement. I tidy up daily (takes 15 minutes), manage the water appropriately, and there is no unpleasant smell. Mostly the aroma of pine shavings. They spend much of the day outdoors in their secure pen, and come in at night. Where we live, night lasts more than twelve hours during some parts of the year.

I know you take wonderful care but i think your probably in the minority, ducks are messy and for indoors that requires a level of dedication most are not willing to do long term, let alone someone in school?

I brooded my original 4 ducks in the house and my chickens(no coops/barns) but i was quite happy to get them outside lol

Back
Top Bottom