Keeping Ducky in the henhouse?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by blaundee, May 11, 2011.

1. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Are there any health concerns for either the chickens or the duck from keeping the duck in the henhouse?

Ducky Moonshine LOVE LOVE LOVES the chickens, and the young ones love snuggling with her. I fill the water bucket twice a day and make sure there is enough water for Ducky to dip her head into, also I have a different water pan just for the chickens thats set up off the ground that they have to fly up to drink from (I had that set up before ducky moved in).

2. ReadyRen

ReadyRen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    From what I have read mind you I have no real experience it is a bad idea. If you end up with male ducks they can try to mate and hurt your chickens possibly even drowning them if you have a pond for the ducks. They also need different nutrition requirements and it is hard to keep them out of each others feed. There is some feed that is adequate for both though, it might reduce the egg production.

There are reports of them living happily though. It seems they need to be raised together to have the best chances.

I'm still thinking about adding ducks myself. Give it a go and if there is problems there are a lot of really experienced people here who will try to support you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by