Keeping Feed Dry???

We have a hanging feeder similar to this and I am having a hard time figuring out how to keep the feed from getting wet. I took it out of the run, because I read the horror stories of rat problems. The chickens free range on 1/2 acre fenced in yard during the day. I started off under the deck and every time it rained it was a soupy mess. I put it under our old wooden playset (under an old roof, and a deck) and that was working pretty well until we had torrential rains (common here in GA) and once again it was a soupy mess. I am worried about mold in the food if it is getting wet.

My carpentry skills aren't very good. I need simple, cheap options, or ideas on how to protect the feed. Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Today, I have a golf umbrella tied to a pole over the food. I NEED HELP :)
:welcome

Thanks for all the replies. I stopped at a garage sale and bought a kids plastic table for $2. I put a hook under it to hang the feed from. Now I have the raised playhouse roof, the underdeck, and the table to keep it dry. I really don't care if its wet, but I don't want them getting sick on moldy feed.

No waste feeder bucket or tub......
View attachment 1415544 View attachment 1415545

Kept outside and stays dry....plus no feed spillage. Ignore the books, lol, this was mid construction and ther were holding them up for marking purposes

I will be making one like this when my chicks (hatched and shipped today!!) are a bit bigger. What size PVC elbow did you use as did you make any modifications to it? I won’t be giving my chickens Left Behind novels due to the dispensationalism :)

Back
Top Bottom