Keeping Fish

So chickens like them? Interesting! They are good with mosquitos for sure. The tails of fancy guppies often look like food for many fish. We have had problems with tetras, barbs, which are nippy in the first place, other guppies, etc. bothering our fancies, which is why we are very careful in keeping them away from other fish. I will definitely stop raising mosquito fish with my fancies, definitely not risking my good breeding lines. Do you keep your fish indoors or outdoors?

Tank check today. We recently lost our two breeding guppy males which we hoped to breed for new bloodlines in our breeding section. My females were thinned out this week by a fungul infection that is still running strong even with repeated extensive treatment. We are looking towards buying new breeding lines of Moscow Greens, Cobras, Sunsets, and Fancies for our program when this infection has run its course. A few of our hobby fish are sick and aren't looking good, but I'm not too upset to see my neon tetras go, nasty little fish. They attack anything that moves that is even slightly smaller than them, but I was lured into purchasing four or five last year after our few runny nosed tetras passed away from old age, probably some of my favorite of all our hobby fish. They were very sweet, non aggressive, pretty, and would eat from my hand. I have tried to find them again and again, but to no avail. My dojo loach, by far one of my favorite fish along with my albino bristle nosed Pleco and some seven to eight year old skirt tetras, passed on a while ago, and I would like to replace him soon. I am soon to add either sunfish, bitterlings, killifish, more mosquito fish, or some plain guppies into my heated goldfish and koi hobby pond. The turtles eat fish ravenously in the pond, but they are relatively good snacking on rosy reds and mosquito fish and keeping away from my Goldies, koi, mollies, platys, swordtails, etc., which I'm very glad of. My high finned shark died during a major algae outbreak this year and I am looking for a catfish to replace him, or maybe Sunnies. Anyone have any ideas for good fish for a koi and goldfish hobby pond?

I don't want to sound snarky or any thing...... Do you realize that most fish diseases are caused by water quality?

I don't keep fish anymore, something about the water where I live now kills them.

Last edited:
You have to let the bacteria needed to process your ammonia and nitrite waste establish, and then make sure you don't destroy the colonies, as well as doing weekly water changes to remove nitrates from the water. Some fish are not compatible to every water condition but never where it kills all species. That's a keeper problem usually.

Oldhen, I have had aquariums for decades........ I have never had major problems with keeping fish until I moved here. The water quality is pathetic when it comes out of the tap. The water either smells bad, is cloudy or both.

That stinks, literally, we have really bad water too, we run ours through filters and a softener, not sure how I would feel if I couldn't keep a few fish. I hope I didn't sound stupid saying that to you. Now I feel stupid.

Don't feel stupid! After all just a a couple of posts ago, I posted that water quality is the cause of most fish diseases. I used to breed angel fish, cichlids, mollies and guppies. Don't know what is wrong with my water, standard water tests don't show anything, but fish just sort of waste away. High quality fish food and religious water changes don't work........ So I don't drink it either.
1f633.png

I have 3 tanks a ten gallon and two five gallons and my guppies always seem to die now i have bettas dying one has a sore under the mouth. Ive tried salt and some other things nothing works. None of these fish live long. Once they all die out im only keeping swords and goldies as there the only ones still going

Oscars are not brackish water fish! I would be very hesitant to recommend them for anyone who is not planning a dedicated freshwater tank for them. They are a disaster in most community tanks, either eating everything or dying quickly from the persecution of larger fish.

And please, never keep pipefish in a tank, brackish or otherwise, unless you are very experienced with maintaining the live foods they require to survive. They need a species tank (no other fish) and a constant supply of correctly sized live food. Generally, newly hatched brine shrimp is not adequate, except for very young ones. It best to just avoid pipefish altogether.

Back
Top Bottom