Keeping Fish

It could be, time will tell, ick looks like salt, fungus is fuzzy, a white mark could be from rubbing, is Penny the one that bloated up, could be a bit of damage. If it wasn't for the snail, aquarium salts are a good cure for a lot of things. Step back and relax for tonight, learning to keep an aquarium sometimes comes with casualties, and bettas are tricky sometimes. They are both easy and hard.

Good advice. They are hardy enough where they should be able to survive. Don't worry them to death! ;) :)

Yes, Penny was bloated. When the tank is fully cycled I'll treat it with salts(removing the snail) and extra heat
Moving on from these guys, since I'll take your advice to leave them for the night: I asked this before but I don't think anyone noticed; what would be the best way to introduce the new female(s) when they arrive?

I might keep them in bowls for a few days to see if they aren't carrying any diseases first, then I would just add them. My hand hurts from typing, Leaf will take anymore questions.

Yes, Penny was bloated. When the tank is fully cycled I'll treat it with salts(removing the snail) and extra heat
Moving on from these guys, since I'll take your advice to leave them for the night: I asked this before but I don't think anyone noticed; what would be the best way to introduce the new female(s) when they arrive? 

You are adding MORE fish? Well, I suppose you could use a breeder box with clear sides, but aren't they going to be in separate tanks, or am I missing something crucial?

Yeah, the two males are in a breeder box with two compartments, I only have two females left since Brooke passed, and I think Lynn is dying too. I need more females to even out aggression and such, but just one more if Lynn recovers, two more if she passes.

Yeah, the two males are in a breeder box with two compartments, I only have two females left since Brooke passed, and I think Lynn is dying too. I need more females to even out aggression and such, but just one more if Lynn recovers, two more if she passes.

I see. I truly hope she improves. But if she does pass, I'd be very careful buying more betas. If you are having such high mortality rates, perhaps it is time to slow down. I hope she recovers, but, if not, I'd hold off on buying fish until the tank ammonia levels are stable. Also check nitrate levels daily in the first couple of days when you introduce fish. Good luck!

Regards,
Leaf

After reading for quite a while, I've decided that I am going to buy a few breeder boxes for my tanks and my turtle pond. I don't want to run the risk of my females fighting the male or vice versa, but I'm out of town for the next few days. I have nowhere to put them right now, so they are sharing an 18 gal. right now. I'm worried about possible fighting.... I will purchase breeder boxes soon. The ones I've looked at seem to have no way for the fish to access air.... Which ones are you using Shelly?

Regards,
Leaf

I'm using the Imagitarium 3-Way Isolation and Nursery Tank from petco.

Lynn AND Penny passed! Monroe loves flaring and is building a nice bubble nest, but Orlando is scared easily, doesn't flare much, and barely has any bubbles on the surface of his side of the box... Is my baby boy going to end up like my girls? Is it possible that the girls already had something before I brought them into my tank, or did I bring their lives to an end? If I lose my boys I guess I should wait until I'm an adult to have pets again besides my geckos
hit.gif

But I'll settle down as I still have my boys. What should I do with them to keep them safe/does salt speed up the cycling process?

I'm using the Imagitarium 3-Way Isolation and Nursery Tank from petco.

Lynn AND Penny passed! Monroe loves flaring and is building a nice bubble nest, but Orlando is scared easily, doesn't flare much, and barely has any bubbles on the surface of his side of the box... Is my baby boy going to end up like my girls? Is it possible that the girls already had something before I brought them into my tank, or did I bring their lives to an end? If I lose my boys I guess I should wait until I'm an adult to have pets again besides my geckos
hit.gif

But I'll settle down as I still have my boys. What should I do with them to keep them safe/does salt speed up the cycling process?

You should either buy a book on keeping freshwater fish or better yet go to the library and check some books out for free. You can also use the internet to gather a lot of information on tropical fish in general and specific information on betas. Salt is now the only treatment I use for my fish and I usually get it from the supermarket.

There is no reason to give up so soon on fish keeping...just slow down. While you are learning let your tank run with the fish you have and when you treat fish with salt DO NOT add it to your tank... treat the fish in a separate container. Just dip them in salt water for a few seconds and let them loose in your tank. You can google that also.

I had some trouble with my catfish pond early last year and treated a few catfish with salt water.

I also find it helpful to learn about where the fish come from. The climate, the water temperature, water PH. etc.

I don't know a lot about a beta but I have been keeping fish for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom