Keeping Fish

Nice tank, I have all my tanks in the basement except a 20 gallon because of the weight, I have 2-29, a 55, a 75, and a 125. So I'm hearing you on multiple tanks, I have downsized a bit and took down 2 tanks last year. It is addictive. I have read people keeping a single Jack Dempsey and it becoming a pet that reacts to you, my larger goldfish are like that, they watch me as much as I watch them.

Quote: Awesome on the basement :) I live in a ranch style home with a 1/2 crawl 1/2 unfinished so unfortunately tanks down there aren't an option right now (it IS in the plan to eventually finish 1/2 of it though, it's been in progress a while, but work is at a standstill right now, we're even talking about installing a hideaway ladder/access in the house). I wish it were an option though because the 100gl would be perfect down there! The max I've kept inside was the 55gl up and running with fish in it. I used it as a temporary with these guys, but then it became an emergency (heater died), and I had to get parts. I ended up just buying a whole 29gl tank set up (on sale) for cheaper than parts!

I think they do too. I have 11 cichlids right now and a plechy. I had a bigger tank in the past, and had 30 adults in there and some juveniles (the adults had babies together). I plan on setting up a breeder tank since cichlids like to eat their babies after momma held them in her mouth until she couldn't do it anymore lol

I'll just test the water to be safe. And I'll use a filter and get more plants. When the water clears a bit more I'll add fish. Do you think it'll be okay if I get everything later today, set up the filter, and let the fish sit in bags in the tank overnight(to get used to the changes)? The pet store is really far from home and I wouldn't like to make my mom drive me back and forth just for a filter, gecko food, fish, etc. It would be best if I could get everything in the same day, otherwise I would have to wait a week or more - staring at a lonely, empty tank... 
Also I was wondering, how does the environment temp(indoors) affect the water temp? Does the amount of water matter? For example if the temp in my house is in the 70s or 80s what would the water temp in my ten gallon be? If the water will be less than 75 - and I can measure the temp if necessary - I'll get a water heater.

NEVER keep fish in a bag for more than ONE hour, the oxygen in the water will dwindle and they will die from lack of it. You may want to put them in a simple fish bowl or vase of you have any and absolutely cannot put them in the tank. But keeping them in an unfiltered tank overnight shouldn't kill them. Leaving them in the bag will.

Regards,
Leaf

I got the "no bags over an hour" part. Just wondering if it could be okay to put the fish in tonight, as the bacteria aren't terrible for them and it might clear up in just a while.

I'll just test the water to be safe. And I'll use a filter and get more plants. When the water clears a bit more I'll add fish. Do you think it'll be okay if I get everything later today, set up the filter, and let the fish sit in bags in the tank overnight(to get used to the changes)? The pet store is really far from home and I wouldn't like to make my mom drive me back and forth just for a filter, gecko food, fish, etc. It would be best if I could get everything in the same day, otherwise I would have to wait a week or more - staring at a lonely, empty tank...
Also I was wondering, how does the environment temp(indoors) affect the water temp? Does the amount of water matter? For example if the temp in my house is in the 70s or 80s what would the water temp in my ten gallon be? If the water will be less than 75 - and I can measure the temp if necessary - I'll get a water heater.

The water temperature in your tank should average out to your average temp in the room...but...it is a good idea to have a heater in your tank to keep the water temp. just exactly where it should be.

If you leave your fish in bags overnight they will suffocate unless they are very big bags.

You need a filter, thermometer, heater, and most of all patience.

They have starter kits that should supply everything you need all in one purchase and it may save you a little money to boot.

I always use a feeder goldfish in my tank before I add other fish. They are very cheap and just like a Canary in a coal mine.

Last edited:
I got two males, the water quality is good.
I'm concerned about my feather tail - yes I know the extreme rays pull them down but I couldn't help myself - because he is hanging on the bottom of the tank. Can it be the flow from the filter? Or are his fins holding him down? In the little cups he seemed healthy and was flaring at the other, so I don't think he is dying. I can move him to the breeder box if it will reduce his stress. The other is a double tail so I'm sure he can swim fine with his fin shape. Currently he's at the top of the water, but I don't want him tiring out... Suggestions asap are appreciated.

my multicolor feather tail boy, now in the breedwe box away from the filters current.
my black butterfly double tail male with a touch of blue, in the breeder box

I got two males, the water quality is good.
I'm concerned about my feather tail - yes I know the extreme rays pull them down but I couldn't help myself - because he is hanging on the bottom of the tank. Can it be the flow from the filter? Or are his fins holding him down? In the little cups he seemed healthy and was flaring at the other, so I don't think he is dying. I can move him to the breeder box if it will reduce his stress. The other is a double tail so I'm sure he can swim fine with his fin shape. Currently he's at the top of the water, but I don't want him tiring out... Suggestions asap are appreciated. 
Most bettas grew up in tiny cups with no currents, they need time to build strength, and work on the ability to swim, he's resting on the bottom because he's exhausted. I let mine out for longer times until they seem strong enough to handle it.

Back
Top Bottom