Keeping free range hens in the yard ??

I let mine free range for a few hours every day. I know it's risky and i am so attached to them. However, i don't think they would enjoy their lives cooped up 24 hours a day. We keep a very close eye on them, and as they get older they seem to become more alert and careful. I know it's going to happen sooner or later, but right now they are happy having some freedom.

I read through this quickly, so sorry if I write anything thats already been stated. Welcome to BYC!

Mahonri said it best, DON'T free range birds that you are attached to, or those that you don't want to loose. Something will
eventually happen, and we can do nothing to stop it, really. Hawks are there in the daytime, and they will get your birds in a
heartbeat. I let some of my hens free range while I'm outside feeding/watering or cleaning, but never while I'm not around.
As for the escaping, When birds 'escape' fencing, they will hop to the top of the fence, perch, then jump down on the other
side. SO, to help prevent this from happening you might wanna make it really unstabble/uncomfortable or impossible to perch
up there. I would recommend putting up netting/fencing that leans inwards at the top, leaning towards the inside of your yard,
like you see in deer fencing. If you have a lower fence, make it higher. If the fence has a really nice, stable bar at the top, make
it unstable/uncomfortable. You can usually prevent heavier weight birds from escaping. Light weight birds however are good
flyers, and hard to keep inside a fence with-out a top. Last year we let one of our american game hens free range in the yard
while we were doing outside chores..we absolutely could not catch that bird. She'd roost high up in the tree tops. Heres a quick
tutorial here on BYC, and a helpful picture for helping you clip the wings. You want to clip the Primary flight feathers.
Wishing you luck.

Rebecca

BYC wing clipping tutorial ~ CLICK HERE

111861_companion-health-wing.gif

Last edited:
we clip the secondary flight feathers on our light birds too, some of the light (and determined) ones manage to fly with one side primaries cut. not far, granted, but enough to get over a fence.

Thanks all for your replies. So far, the neighborhood dogs aren't coming down our driveway and the birds are staying in our general vicinity. When they hear cars or people, they are high-tailing it back to the area where their coop is. We've decided not to cut their wings anymore, so if they do have a run-in with a predator, they'll be able to get away better. They're all pretty heavy, except for the California Whites, and our tree limbs are HIGH (we have horses and goats, so the lower tree limbs get chewed on, so we trim them). They have stuck to the ground, our porches, and the horse fencing. We have dairy goats and heavy laying ducks that do a good job of keeping predators out of the front yard/pasture and the girls seem to be too big for the hawks in our area. We've been free ranging them daily since mid-October and haven't had any problems so far. They just started getting out of the yard/pasture the last few weeks. If we lose any to predators, we'll rethink our housing situation.

Hawks will fly down and kill the bird whether they are to big to carry off or not, They'll eat them on the ground. It is better for birds to have
un-clipped wings, IMO so that they can get away and be faster if they need to, so not clipping the wings is a good idea. Good luck!

For what it is worth, some dogs can jump a 4' fence. I have had hunting dogs that could jump into the back of a pickup with the endgate up and clear the sides. Of course, the newer pickups are a lot taller now.

So you not only have to worry about chickens getting out. Dogs will get in.

We let ours free range and we've lost 1 maybe to a dog. (I sobbed) then last week we had a hawk attack and it got another of ours, but she's alive with stitches and I still sobbed. I still let the others free range. I know I'm asking for trouble, but they look so sad all cooped up. I'm hopeful each day that I'll still have all of them. I know its risky business. We are going to fix our fencing this week so we can keep dogs away and hopefully add some protection for the above predators. I hope you have better luck then I do.

Our 26 chickens are fenced in. I figure like with other animals we own, I am responsible for their safety. Granted, they can still be caught or something can get in under the chain link panels.

But, why, have the chickens, I do not want to feed predators, the cost of feed, bedding, and other items, once again, I am responsible for their safety.

You can get the great flavor and orange yolk of free ranging without it being out all day. I let mine free range 1-2 hours a day.

I have decent luck keeping them in the yard with a few things. I have a 1 acre yard. One side has a 6 foot fence they haven't choosen to go over yet, their wings are not clipped.
I have lots of areas to forage and find bugs it isn't all grass. It is grass, weeds, some trees, bushes, compost piles and my garden. I spent many days while they were out in the beginning in the garden. Anytime they got near the garden I'd spray them with water. Now I don't have to guard the garden and they only get near it occasionally but they don't destroy it. I did lose a few onion tops this week.

I don't live on a busy road so my worst case scenerio is mad neighbors. Which since I don't live in the country is a problem. So I spent alot of time when I first started free ranging them going out every 30 minutes with treats and bringing them to areas I wanted. mostly toward the center of the yard. It takes them awhile to range their way to the edge.

I also put a 3' poultry fence right along our back property line which is the closest to their pen and has the only foresty area which they loved but is mostly the neighbors. While they can easily fly over or in some spots just go under they usually don't. When they go out of bounds I also usually put them up.

They now stay in the yard for 1 to 2 hours fairly well. I still go out and give them treats if they are out for over and hour just to bring them back.

I know they are vulnerable to predators during this time but mine can fly, there is lots of cover and they are natural hunter peckers. I view the quality of their life as important as their safety. My own daughter would be safer locked up in my house all the time for the rest of her life but I'm going to choose to let her drive, date and those things.

They do respond to behavioral training, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom