keeping growth data on your meat birds / chart p. 2

I would NEVER use a runt in any breeding program no matter what other redeaming qualities it hay have. I would most certainly expect diminishing returns when trying to achieve high meat yields.

Well, I agree with that... but I think she only has one buckeye to use.

But that could be the Achilles heel in the whole operation. You might want to consider swapping that buckeye with something similar.... If your using four lines trying to create one... than color shouldn't really be a problem. However size is an issue.

Looks like from what you are breeding with the only sure thing is going to be feathered feet. The rest is unknown until you can get some chicks on the ground. But I do agree, the runt should be left out of the program, unless your willing to work with the results.

I know this all probably sounds quite silly and sophmoric to those with much avian experience and knowledge; but it's just my own little personal project that I am deriving quite a lot of satisfaction from . . . and that's the main reason I am raising chickens.
I am doing my 2 week weigh in on my first batch of chicks tomorrow and looking forward to comparing notes withthose who have CX.
thanks for ALL of your input, I really appreciate hearing what others think.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hope this is easier to read!

Katy's MEAT BIRD RATE OF GAIN
ROOSTER - Black Copper Maran (Adam)
HEN - Cornish Crosses (Dorrie & Gloria)

CHICKS

#1 HATCH DATE 2/15/2010 - DNR, WEEK 1 - 3.5 oz, 2 Wk - 7.1 oz, 3 - 11.6 oz, 4 - 15.7 oz, 5 - 1lb 4.2 oz
#2 HATCH DATE 2/15/2010 - DNR, WEEK 1 - 3.4 oz, 2 WK - 7.1 oz, 3 - 12.4 oz, 4 - 1 lb 2.2 oz, 5 - 1lb 6.2 oz
#3 HATCH DATE 2/15/2010 - DNR, WEEK 1 - 3.4 oz, 2 WK - 6.9 oz, 3 - 10.9 oz, 4 - 15.4 oz, 5 - 1lb 3.4 oz
#4 HATCH DATE 2/15/2010 - DNR, WEEK 1 - 3.3 oz, 2 WK - 7.4 oz, 3 - 11.8 oz, 4 - 1 lb 1.8 oz, 5 - 1lb 9.0 oz
#5 HATCH DATE 2/26/2010 - 1.6 oz, WEEK 1 - 2.9 oz, 2 WK - 5.6 oz, 3 -
#6 HATCH DATE 2/26/2010 - 1.6 oz, WEEK 1 - 2.9 oz, 2 WK - 5.5 oz, 3 -
#7 HATCH DATE 2/26/2010 - 1.4 oz, WEEK 1 - 3.1 oz, 2 WK - 6.3 oz, 3 -
#8 HATCH DATE 3/12/2010 - 1.5 oz, WEEK 1 - 2.1 oz , 2 WK oz, 3 -

I did not record the hatch weight on first four. Will do so in the future though in hopes of perhaps telling sex by weight?
5 & 6 are the only two feather legged so far.

Last edited:
Quote:
Am I following this correctly ? You have one hatch of 4 with no hatch weight ? A second hatch of 3 with hatch weights between 1.4 and 1.6 oz ? And converting Jeffs record to oz , the Cornish X weigh 5.4 oz at 1 week and 13.6 oz at 2 weeks ?

Last edited:
Quote:
This is the exact thing I'd like for the Snohomish area. Sadly, can't have roos where we live but I'll be following your progress with interest. Couple of data points I will try and get you if you have an interest when I do my next batch of Freedom Rangers:

- We're planning to switch to a whole grain diet as an experiment next round
- They grow slow. We butchered at 10 and had one around 2lbs and only one over 4lbs so are going 12+ this time.
- They have a wide varience in size. At 4 weeks I had some 3# and a couple 1.5#. Do you want averages? Like pull out 5 birds and average? Or the same bird?
Can't do all of them... we do 25 at a time and they are kind of smelly. Also I pass them off to pasture so I can't give you data after week 4, and then at butcher.
- My partners in fowl pasture them from 4 weeks, and notice that giving them their food in meals (where there is still ample food in the feeder after the frenzy 2x day) encourages them to spend more time ranging. Does this factor in to your plans?

AC

Quote:
Yes! It's crazy how much bigger Jeffs CX are than mine already! At one week mine were double the size of the laying breeds that hatched with them and at two weeks almost triple. I am really pleased with that kind of growth . . . and totally blown away by Jeffs!
We'll see how this progresses . . .
I am just feeding standard chick starter right now, and they are eating more than the layer chicks but not like voracious hogs.

Quote:
Thank you! Just give me what you can as you can, I was really hoping someone with Freedom rangers would chime in, I think that data will be very usefull. So thanks again in advance!
I am really interested in your whole grain diet and what decisions you made and how you arrived at them; and also of course, how you feel about it after butchering.
I haven't yet decided how to feed after pasturing them . . . I was kind of considering broadcasting whole grains across the pasture area to incourage activity and foraging and also what is missed would (hopefully) regenerate as good greens for them.
Interesting that you say the freedom rangers are smelly, I have heard so many say that about the CX. My full grown CX ARE smelly but so far the chicks are no worse than the others. I do notice that my 2 full growns have excessively active oil glands and their bare naked chests are always sweaty. . .

Quote:
Yes! It's crazy how much bigger Jeffs CX are than mine already! At one week mine were double the size of the laying breeds that hatched with them and at two weeks almost triple. I am really pleased with that kind of growth . . . and totally blown away by Jeffs!
We'll see how this progresses . . .
I am just feeding standard chick starter right now, and they are eating more than the layer chicks but not like voracious hogs.

I think you should be pleased ! If you can get them stabilized to breed true they should be excellent DPs , and you can always push growth rate with a premium or custom ground starter . The Cornish X is a hybrid and [ depending on strain ] has a half century of refining .

Back
Top Bottom