keeping growth data on your meat birds / chart p. 2

If you would share, I will greatly appreciate it! I think it would be interesting to compare carcass pics as well. Such as a 6lb CX, 6lb FR and some 6lb breeding projects. Say 6lb at butcher, what is carcass weight and how much of that is fat?

Hey Katy , any updated pics on your crosses or updates on the growth records ? Sorry nobody other than Jeff wanted to contribute , I guess others wanted their own thread
tongue.png

Hi Steve, nice to see your lovely face
smile.png
I've been meaning to get on here and post some data bu twith the arrrival of spring and all the hatches I have going on, I only seem to sit down at the computer when I am exhausted and need a 5 minute break. I have been following other other threads though. My birds are doing fantastic!!! They are holding pretty steady at 1/2 the weight of Jeffs, which is where I wanted them for a 15 week butcher date. SUPER healthy, active, fully feathered; I couldn't be happier with what I have. I feel like the choices I made for crosses were really the right ones for what I want . . . I can't wait until next year to cross the crosses! I'll try to get some pics on here tomorrow, building the new breeder runs for them today.

Quote:
lol.png
I intentially use that picture of myself in my avatar so my " lovely face " is hidden behind the beard
lol.png
Glad you're still getting good results , I'll be watching for pics
caf.gif

ok then that cleared up!
here are a couple of pics, not very good ones but I'll aim for something better later this week.
These guys are always with their head down eating or running to where they think there is food. As you can see they are the picture of health, fully feathered and active. I didn't weigh today but they are right at 3 lbs at 8 weeks with the pulletts a bit heavier than the cockerals.
19992_meat_birds_012.jpg

19992_meat_birds_015.jpg

19992_meat_birds_017.jpg

19992_meat_birds_022.jpg

Thanks Katy , they're lookin' good . Weird that the pullets are heavier . Their shanks and feet look pink/white with some slate starting to develope and I thought the first chick pictured looked yellow legged . Are skin and leg color varying on your crossbreds ? [ i.e. are you getting some white skinned and some yellow skinned off the same cross ? ]

ETA : I don't know if white skin is dominate over yellow , but seem to recall that yellow skin is a recessive trait . I like the appearence of yellow skin on a grocery bird but doubt that it affects the flavor . I remember reading that both the Sussex and Marans were once highly prized for their flavor and they're both white skinned .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom