keeping heat up in scalding tank

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bj taylor, Apr 19, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    how are y'all heating your water for scalding & how are you keeping the heat up? especially when you're outside.

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    We use a large propane burner. If it's windy, we will put up a wind block. Temp stays up just fine.

3. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    We put our biggest pot on the grill right in the middle. It worked really well.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    We have used a turkey fryer stand and pot, to heat water in. We have also used a colman stove. You just have to lay all the sides down. :thumbsup

5. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    We did the turkey fryer for a couple of years and I had a very hard time regulating the temperature to get a consistent scald. The chicken itself is probably equal to a gallon of water and a turkey fryer bucket is at best 6 gallons. That's just not enough thermal mass. The scald water temperature falls quickly as I scald 2 birds at a time, every other minute. To compensate for the loss in scald temp I carried hot water from the stove at regular intervals. After 1500-2000 birds we upgraded.

We picked up a scalder from Featherman. I'm going to suggest it holds 30-40 gallons of water. It takes a lot to chill that amount of mass. One could probably build something similar out of a clean 55-gallon drum and the burner out of a water heater.

6. miken56

miken56 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    I cut the top off of a electric water heater (80 gallon marathon) and just wired it for 110 volt, even though it was a 220volt with a 4500 watt element. It took about 7 hours to go from 52 degree water to 150 degree. The original thermostat kept it with in about 5 degrees and we did 76 birds in 1 hour 45 minutes. You can plug into ground fault line for protection. A 20 amp 110 volt circuit ran the heater, and a 1 horse power whizbang inspired plucker with out problems. Cost of heater about $10 for wiring. Heater free from landfill. I also made a lid of 2 inch dense styrofoam to hold heat in while heating, and between birds. I scald 2 at a time, then into the plucker. A 52 gallon heater will work also, just may be a little slower because of volume of water. Also if you have a plucker you already have the electricity there. I thought about propane for convenience but this works great for me.

Last edited: May 27, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by